Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In gaming, see attached.

Attached Files:

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interesting. Afterburner is able to monitor GPU power for you?

3. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Think will we get bios support for Ryzen 3000s announced around the time of the official release?

4. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm a cynic but don't think so. If Acer want to offer this system with newer processors they will probably make the new BIOS compatible with the current ones, if they don't (like Asus didn't update their Ryzen systems) not likely.
    On the other hand I'm positive that someone will make a modded BIOS sooner or later. Just hoping it will not need an external programmer:
    https://octoperf.com/blog/2018/09/02/acer-predator-helios-500-mods/#helios-500-bios-mod

triturbo and quadcricket like this.
  5. evolucion8

evolucion8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recommend you to install the latest AMD Chipset drivers which also install the Ryzen power profile. The Balanced option on Windows does not work very well with the core scheduling, causing big latency issues on sensitive apps like games and WinRaR.

I also got this laptop but a week ago after selling my Asus GL702ZC and love its performance. The keyboard is easy to type on, there is a very small rattling when the fans are on very low but does not bother me. The screen is not as bright as the Asus but still very bright for indoor use. The sound definitively is more punchier. Overall I am very happy with this powerful laptop.

6. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Ryzen balanced power plan hasn't been necessary since last fall, windows updated the balanced plan to no longer park cores so the ryzen balanced plan is redundant.

The problem is the mixed reality portal puts the cpu in its highest state, which runs all 8 cores at their max boost, around 3.4ghz. This despite no load (<5%). If it's allowed to boost itself, it will run only the loaded cores at max boost, which works out to 3.8 to 3.9ghz (see my post with afterburner stats on) in games. That's a ~15% performance hit as iracing is cpu limited in vr, not gpu. It only loads 2-3 cores, and one of them (the render thread that processes draw calls) is the limiting factor.

Unfortunately, it does that no matter what power plan is selected.

hmscott likes this.
  7. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Did a small upgrade today - I had a 4gb ddr4 2400 stick lying around from another laptop upgrade so grabbed another one for $30 off of Amazon and a 1TB 2.5" HDD as I've already almost filled up the ssd. Install took about 5 minutes, 2 screws to remove the bottom panel, 2 more to remove the drive cage, 4 screws to attach the surround to the 2.5" hdd, plug in the cable and screw everything back together. Now I've got 24GB of ram and 1.25TB of storage to match the compute horsepower!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  8. polbit

polbit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I keep going back and forth between getting i7/1070 and the Ryzen/56. With price being basically a wash, and this destined to be my gaming laptop (I have an MBP for most of other productivity work), I think the single core speed of the i7 wins out. Vega also seems to do worse with DX11 games, and I'm a huge Witcher 3 fan. Finally the power consumption with a desktop CPU and Vega is obviously higher...

On the other hand, the 2700 is a monster, newer DX12 games like Vega better, and it's just nice to get something besides Intel... I'm frozen with indecision, help!

hmscott likes this.
  9. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Well, I think you pretty well nailed the trade-offs between them. I'd just add that the power consumption doesn't really matter, you'll have to be plugged in with either of them to do anything meaningful.

If it's purely for gaming, the intel/nvidia combo will probable be slightly ahead, game depending. However, I think the amd setup will be more future proof, and right now it's also significantly cheaper, at least in the US. For the current $650 price difference you could grab a 2700X, 2TB 2.5" drive and 16gb of 2933mhz ram and drop them in the AMD laptop and still have money left over.

jclausius likes this.
  10. polbit

polbit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. When looking at power consumption, I guess it's more about thermals/noise, since it's the same chassis. I did see one review though on YouTube where it looked like the cooler setup for the Ryzen chip is beefier though.

As far as pricing, it's a total wash in the US, at least with the two configs I'm looking at - i7-8750H / 1070 and Ryzen 7 2700 / Vega 56. Intel is $1,699, while AMD is $1,749.