Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Aside from potential binning, not much point in dropping in the 2700X when you can just make it run the same clocks, you'll just have to spend the time tuning the voltage.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You'll get higher single core clocks on the 2700x - it boosts to 4.35. Not many (if any) 2700's can hit that, as the only way to go over 4.1 is to all core overclock. That's a definite possibility, but if I'm going to swap out my desktop 2700x it'll be easy to drop it in this.

However, I'm now getting the same issue some reviewers did - clocks are stuck at 3.45ghz all core and have stopped boosting up/down. Not sure what did it, I'm going to update chipset drivers and make a few other changes and see if I can get it to properly boost - it cut some gaming fps down 10% as it's stuck at 3.45 instead of boosting up to 3.8 on a few cores. Really odd as when I first changed the power plan to balanced it was definitely boosting properly, it's almost as if it's stuck on high performance power plan.

Edit: figured it out, it's the Power Mode slider above the battery, if set all the way to the right it forces high performance plan and ruins the clock boosting. Dragging it back to the middle (Better Performance) fixes it.

Also, FN+F9 lets you selectively shut off the different lighting, so hitting that twice shuts off the touch pad lighting, which fixes one of my gripes.

hmscott likes this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I wasnt aware that you couldnt match the clocks, but i suppose thats going to be one of the teething issues considering its only 1 of 2 products to feature desktop ryzen chips...

4. bobzdar

Reputations:
    So some experimenting with MSI Afterburner, and I can easily set the Vega clocks to 1500mhz gpu and 900mhz HBM, max temps only in the low 60's. This results in boost clocks of 1450mhz and 900mhz HBM. This is actually faster than a stock Vega56 - they run 1475 gpu (resulting in around 1425mhz actual boost clock) and 800mhz on the HBM and most of them run nuclear temps. Not sure if they run really highly binned gpu's in this or the cooling is really that good, but you can boost the clocks 200mhz gpu and 100mhz HBM without issue - no need to even modify the stock fan curve, voltages, power limit or anything. Just to see how much cooling overhead there was, I turned the fans to 100% and the temps dropped to 48C gpu and 54C cpu, which is positively cold. There's TONs of headroom if you want to o/c on this thing. I'm honestly amazed at those temps - I'm basically running with full on no compromise high end desktop performance in a laptop, which is kind of mind boggling to me.

hmscott and triturbo like this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Yeah and they came with the 330w brick so lots of headroom to play with iirc

hmscott likes this.
  6. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone try the 2019 Adrenaline Release?

hmscott likes this.
  7. bobzdar

Reputations:
    I installed on mine, had to enable clock, voltage and power adjustments in afterburner for the wattman options to show up in radeon settings. Only issue I had is that chill locked the gpu clocks at 150mhz, shutting it off fixed it, though.

hmscott likes this.
  8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does it actually hold 1450/900 under full GPU load? IIRC the power limit is only 120W.

9. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Yeah, it was running around ~113W with 99% utilization, so maybe a little left in it. I didn't try any undervolting, not sure if that's possible.

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow, even without an undervolt? What application did you test it with?