Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The conversation of which you quoted, was about lack of NVME raid. If you dont care then maybe shouldnt have quoted it.

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered one from amazon, it was over $500 off ($1760 with 5% coupon plus another 5% for using Amazon store card made it around $1580). Can't wait to get it, at that price it's not much more than it'd cost to build a similar desktop. It'll replace my sff, which is an r7 1700 with gtx 1050ti. This will be a little bigger and weigh more but also includes a monitor and kbm, so it'll be roughly as portable and a little more convenient. Small cpu upgrade but a huge gpu upgrade. It'll mostly be used for vr gaming, 3d photogrammetry and some video editing and ai/ml experimentation.

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Nice net price you landed to score

4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Prove me wrong then. Oh, wait, you can't. As pointed out, this entire conversation is about raiding NVMe. When considering a system, understanding the PCIe I/O is part of understanding if it can fit your needs. For the 8950HK, you can have either 16 lanes, 2x8 lanes, or 1x8 and 2x4 lanes. To do NVMe raid, you have to give up 8 lanes to the GPU, and that is only of the MB officially supports it.

With the 2700, you don't have the pre-text. It too has 16 PCIe lanes. So, if the mb supports it, theoretically going 8x4x4 is possible. But, there is a performance hit to the GPU.

This is just how things work. And this is about raid NVMe. Now, we could argue about the need to increase lanes on mainstream platforms (which I believe 32 to be the right number), but that is a different discussion entirely.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe that'll happen with 4.0 version of the bus. But that's 2 years away even just to start implemented device standards.

6. ajc9988

Reputations:
    You did see X570 will be using 4.0, right? The question is whether they will implement a pcie difference like they did for the X299 platform. That is costly and likely won't be implemented until after AM4. So right on the time, but possibly wrong on reason why.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How's the stock thermal paste? I read through around 10 pages and didn't find much. I have a tube of thermal grizzly kryonaut and some noctua nt-h1, is it worth the effort? Not planning to oc, but want to maintain max boost clocks if possible.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Regarding performance hit to the gpu. If it's pcie 3.0 @ x8 then the performance hit wouldn't be that large. Still quite a few people are there with pcie 2.0 @ x16 which is similar bandwidth iirc. That being said i have no idea how a system would behave when all its available pcie lanes are fully taxed while doing something like gaming where (at least myself) can recognize even small descrepencies while playing something like an fps.

Not sure if I would want that but would be interested in seeing it just for the principle of the scenario.

Thermal paste from oem is generally always poor. One user here was interested in a repaste but now that you mention it I'm not sure if he went through with it or not.

9. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How does one apply stuff to a Chiplet setup like the Vega?

10. ajc9988

Reputations:
    Vega isn't a chiplet, unless you are discussing APUs. If you are talking the nuances of disintegration of the I/O of a GPU like their CPUs, then it becomes more straight forward.