Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Can't answer, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to OC a ryzen chip. Linus was able to get 1700 or 1800 out of his chip, while this review had the chip locked to 3.5GHz without boost the whole time, then said clock speed wouldn't effect GPU speed, but seemed to say they OCed the 1070 as well, while neither CPU nor GPU was OCed on AMD side.

Guess he needs to learn by next year!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

undervolter0x0309 and hmscott like this.
  2. quadcricket

quadcricket Newbie

Reputations:
    I got mine in and immediately sent it off to Acer. The BIOS is sparse, I thought it was broken. No graphics just text, no easy boot selection, no RAID support, no overclocking support. I sent it off because it wouldn't even see the second NVME M.2 drive I installed. It took Acer almost two weeks to get back to me and tell me that the second M.2 slot is SATA only and will not hardware RAID with the other slot. I run Linux so I am pretty pissed that It's software RAID only and there is no easy way for me to overclock without installing Windows and some utility. Now I have to order a SATA M.2, which is so stupid. Why not make both NVME? Why not have the RAID which is advertised on their website? I have still been pleased with the power of the laptop but their BIOS was a damn afterthought. Acer did notify me that they are planning on changing their website to clarify that RAID is NOT supported on the AMD version.

hmscott and undervolter0x0309 like this.
  3. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Snap! On and on again, I'm grateful to God for this forum/community. Will keep participating as long as I can
    I'm looking for the "secret" of getting in to the hidden bios options (saw some posts about it but haven't looked into it yet).
    For overclocking, is there a "ryzen master" in linux. That should work.

I agree that this machine is well serving for professionals and OEMs should take note to cater to this segment (although smaller, but can pay extra dollars for professional support).

quadcricket and hmscott like this.
  4. ajc9988

Reputations:
    You do realize that neither platform properly does hardware NVMe raid, right? This isn't just AMD. You get the lanes going to the main NVMe. Then the second one goes through chipset, meaning shared bandwidth. I don't think Intel has two x4 lanes plus x16 to graphics.

This is a general limitation of mainstream PCIe lanes. Now, for OC, of course they didn't think of Linux users and didn't unlock the bios. Practically no one does. I agree that needs added.

5. Suzuki_Pro

Suzuki_Pro Newbie

Reputations:
    What's the power consumption of the cpu in the acer helios 500?
    If the rumors are true.... would swapping out that 2700 with the "rumored" new Ryzen 5 3600 cpu work? Or are the motherboards different?
    Ryzen 5 3600 = 8 cores, 16 threads ---- 3.6-4.4Ghz ----- 55w
    Would be insanity if it's true --- lower power consumption and higher clocks.
    Source

6. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well we'd need a bios update first. AMD Reddit had someone swap out the 2700 with an X model so if the bios gets support for next 3000 series then it should be fine.

7. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The main problem is if the second slot is indeed SATA only, 2 lanes PCIe would be fine (limiting peak throughput) but SATA? Nah.

8. ajc9988

Reputations:
    That makes no sense. Sata is connected to the chipset or CPU, and splitting the pcie lanes between two m.2 slots results in the speed of a single x4 slot. Your argument makes little sense at all.

For Intel, they have more m.2 slots, but don't discuss the bottleneck of lanes from the chipset to the CPU which negates a true raid setup for mainstream rigs. What you argue for is mislead consumers.

Now technically I think you'd be able to raid two Sata drives, just not nvme.

So what the hell are you going on about?

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not to mention consumer workloads dont really benefit from a raid 0 array to begin with, though Im sure exceptions exist.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was going to reply to this with facts but then erased the post as you are rude and haven't even bothered to read (or at least understand) what I wrote. But in short: you are wrong and I care not one iota about RAID of NVme drives.