Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Definitly interested in something like this

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, you'd have to get so close in order to read that warning, you'll likely "burn" your face from the hot exhaust before you are close enough to read those little tiny letters. :D

Pedro69 likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's how it works, you find a photo, you upload it here, and the system resizes it to fit the post space. There is a 2MB size limit, so "too large pictures" can't be loaded already.

Thumbnails can be selected to display rather than the whole photo, but they are problematic because when you click them they don't resize to the post width, they come up full sized - which for most photo's from most camera's are going to be much larger than 1920x1080.

Besides, I couldn't read those little tiny letters in the resized to post width photo, I had to click on it to blow it up to full sized, and side scroll to see the text and read it.

So at least for this photo, full sized was necessary.

You'll find most photo's here will be too large for you if this one was a problem. Adapt :)

ellalan and Pedro69 like this.
  4. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @hmscott

What you think about this version of laptop versus GT75? At least for this price an i9 8950HK, G-Sync, 144Hz, GTX1070...

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Either one is fine from the perspective of build and price, and the ability to tune for operation, in theory. We will have to wait to see how the Acer Ryzen+Vega perform's and how easy it is to tune for best performance while running cool enough to not throttle.

Given that I'm not interested in investing in Intel CPU's as they exist today. I'm not interested in spending big $'s on a CPU that will be on the junk pile after Intel releases their new CPU architecture.

AMD was affected too to be sure, but not with the same level of performance hits from the mitigations, and not as many vulnerabilities were exposed.

There aren't any reports yet for this Acer Ryzen+Vega, so we'll have to wait for reviewer / user reports, and wait for reviewers / users that know how to tune properly for cool running operation before being able to make an informed decision on which laptop to get. :)

Pedro69 likes this.
  6. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From the perspective of build / build quality. the MSI should be superior. For example Notebookcheck gives the Helios 500 (Intel version) "inferior" rating, while the MSI gets "good" rating. Although either machine are not the kind you by if you wan't the cleanest fit and finish anyway. They should just be seen as boxes to carry those Components + cooling. Or else you will be sorely disappointed in this price range (fit and finish wise).

7. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's always good to provide links when quoting something, especially with notebookcheck as they have various language versions of reviews before the English translation is posted...

Here is the Verdict from Notebookcheck.org's review:

"With its Predator Helios 500, Acer has once again created a gaming beast with more advantages than disadvantages when it comes to games. However, even this 17-inch game machine is far from perfect and therefore requires detailed analysis.

The screen, for example, has written games everywhere. 144 Hz and incredibly fast response times are a great advantage.The color accuracy was excellent once the screen went through our manual calibration process. However, it did not cover sRGB completely and its contrast ratio of only 500: 1 was too low. Therefore, the blacks seemed quite gray to the observer.

The total emissions were more than acceptable considering the level of performance of the device. Users can even choose whether or not they want better cooling performance (Cool Boost) and a slightly overclocked GPU (turbo GPU). With the automatic fan control turned on, the device was quiet enough to integrate seamlessly into most office environments, and even the fans turned off completely from time to time.

The build quality was not perfect, but the plastic body was stiff enough in general. We especially liked the two Thunderbolt 3 ports, but we regret the loss of the SD card reader.

The maintenance is very simple and the updating capacity is excellent. Among other things, users can upgrade RAM (up to 64 GB) and storage (2x M.2 SSD RAID, 2.5-inch hard drive).Unfortunately, M.2 support is limited to SATA and does not include NVMe's fastest protocol.

The sound system was excellent but not as bright as that of its big brother, the Predator 17. The backlit input devices were quite good, and the total weight was quite low considering the level of performance of the laptop.

On the downside, the laptop's idle power consumption was very high, and its battery life quite poor. Neither the webcam nor the microphone were suitable for such an expensive laptop and would have been more appropriate for a $ 400 laptop.

If for some reason you find that these handicaps are too much to bear or the price is too high, the Acer Predator Helios 300, which starts at just over $ 1,000 (GTX 1050 Ti) or $ 1,300 (GTX 1060), could be worth it look more closely. At least we can assure you that this particular notebook was much more energy efficient than the current revision unit.

In short, we will also review the other Helios 500 SKU, the high-end model equipped with Intel Core i9-8950HK (2.9 - 4.8 GHz)."

The word "inferior" didn't come through in the translation to English...anywhere in the review...

Review of the Acer Predator Helios 500 laptop (GTX 1070, i7-8750H)
    https://www.notebookcheck.org/Revie...or-Helios-500-GTX-1070-i7-8750H.308338.0.html

Or were you looking at another link(s) with other versions of this review, or reviews of others sku's of the Helio 500?

By reading their review, and Verdict, I'd call it as they called it, "a gaming beast"...:D

None of the negatives matter to me, the battery life - really? On a dedicated high-end gaming laptop?? sheesh, Webcam / Microphone ? - I disable those anyway, and the screen isn't for color accurate photoshop work - it's for high refresh rate 144hz gaming. :)

And, Helios 300 "more energy efficient"?? They are obviously looking for a different kind of laptop in their life than the one they are reviewing. Their personal bias is showing through. A high end gaming laptop with a 144hz screen screams it's intent, and it's intent is not "energy efficient" operation.

Never would I expect consummate perfection in materials or fit and finish from a gaming laptop, they are made to be light and affordable.

After using a number of MSI and Acer high end laptop products over many years, in no way have I ever thought that they were inferior or poorly made. My only thoughts have been "awesome laptop", and "wow lets see how this plays my games"!

A Ryzen + Vega laptop going to be a first, so there are likely to be some early teething issues, as with the Asus GL702ZC Ryzen + RX580, but those issues have been worked out with software updates, so it's a great laptop now too.

I'd wait to pass judgement on the Ryzen / Vega version in it's own right, before trying to ruin their prospects as you clearly seem to have intended.

There aren't going to be a lot make / model choices in this AMD Ryzen + AMD Vega GPU combo, at least not from the start, so let's try to work through any issues and help make it a winner for everyone that buys it, rather than kill it with bad words before it even comes out...

What's up with that post anyway?

Are you a AMD / MSI / Acer / Ryzen / Vega hater? Or, what? :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    triturbo and Pedro69 like this.
  8. Pedro69

Reputations:

Nice temps at stock values, im thinking getting one instead of GT75

hmscott likes this.
  9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Gut" means Good, not inferior.
    Most problems in the review is about the screen: excessive bleeding, not sRGB, low contrast ratio.

In comparison the GT75 got a "Gut 87%" score, in other words still "Good" but with a slightly higher score. Note that there are two different reviewers and personal preferences always influence scores.

The GT75 also can get really damn loud, maximum 45.2 dBa for the Helios 500 vs 62(!!!) dBa for the GT75. Wouldn't want to have that howling beast near me.

Pedro69 and hmscott like this.
  10. Pedro69

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.