Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I agree, something is up since the germans also removed it from the stores (source: Acer forums). I was going for the GT75 from msi when I saw this. To be honest the AMD CPU and gpu is the only reason for going with Acer as I once worked for a service center repairing Acer laptops under warranty. Though it seems like they got better overall these last years.

I was a huge fan of AMD (fanboy lol) back in the day, so I really want to test them in laptops again. I am still awaiting answer from komplett and I will post here afterwards. If it's not coming for sale anymore I will go for the MSI...

Sent fra min SM-N960F via Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    Not good news. Translated it means they are not sure this laptop will be available for sale any time soon. If or when the laptop becomes available they will be adding it to the shop again. Pretty standard reply but nothing about the laptop being recalled from Acer.

FYI: This was the only shop in Norway who had this laptop listed.[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  3. starkid84

starkid84 Newbie

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Komplett sold them out in a blink of an eye and delisted them shortly after for some reasons, this Acer might just be a small production scale of a couple of thousands.

s4lem0nsen likes this.
  5. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    Yeah I am awaiting answer from Acer Norway also. Seems like there is a limited production, maybe to see if the market shows some interest. Was also removed from many European countries just after a few units sold.

6. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Was waiting for a review of the final unit and finally someone tested it.
    A little bit disappointed that it has been confirmed that it performs worse than the GTX 1070.

There are 4 Acer Shops near me and 2 of them have this laptop in stock ready for pick up, I honestly did not expect that other EU countries have such a huge stock issue with this model.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    s4lem0nsen likes this.
  7. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    I would think since this is the first laptop with this CPU and GPU combo they probably went the safe route. If I could get my hands on this, I would most definitely unlock the bios to overclock GPU and also put way faster RAM in this bad boy.

Hopefully they didn't completely shut down the possibility of getting the Vega up to desktop class performance. Seems like they just cut the extra power to the card, most likely a firmware/bios modification...

I got the tools to dump the bios and get it unlocked, I just need the laptop lol. Never thought I would be so sad to not get a Acer product...

triturbo likes this.
  8. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Problem 1) This laptop is using Insyde BIOS so modding it is not as simple as an AMI BIOS. Possible, but if you can get a laptop, be prepared that it will not be as simple as modding an ASUS laptop.
    Problem 2) I am 99% sure that the BIOS chip is write protected. This means you need to disassembly the laptop, remove the BIOS chip and flash the modded BIOS with an SPI programmer. You can leave the chip in the motherboard, but not recommended, because the SPI programmer might damage the board. Even for dumping the BIOS is the best and safest method to use an SPI programmer. Yes, new laptops are like the Pascal VGAs, you can mod the BIOS, but can not flash it, only with an SPI programmer.
    Problem 3) Acer likes using it, so there is a high chance that the BIOS is stored on a XMC QH128AHIG chip. The problem with this is that the most popular SPI programmer, the TL866 does not support this chip (It can read it to dump the BIOS but writing is not possible with it).

To be safe, you might want to get an RT809F programmer, this should support this chip. But be aware, many sellers on Ebay are selling "pirated" versions and since these programmers are technically hardware keys, the software might detect if you have a "copy" and might not work.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    triturbo, s4lem0nsen and downloads like this.
  9. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    Yes I am aware of this. Worked in a Acer repair center a few years back. It's not 99% sure, it's 100% sure the bios is write protected haha. I got the tools, but yeah I would have to use a soic clip on tool and a USB programmer. Done this many times before. But don't know how long I want to wait for this laptop being available. Needed a workhorse laptop yesterday =(

triturbo likes this.
  10. s4lem0nsen

Reputations:
    Ok so they are coming back, don't know if I can wait that long, but at least it seems like they are upping the production.[​IMG]

triturbo and hmscott like this.