Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    GTX 1060, 15.6" 60Hz no G-sync, no OS. Add GTX 1070, 144Hz G-sync and Windows Home... More expensive.
    Plus taxes and fees.
    With similar specs I get it to be €2463 while the Acer goes for €1999.

hmscott likes this.
  2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen any reviews or know anyone who has the damn thing? I talked to a few Germans who bought it but they "refuse" to do undervolt or overclock the Vega 56 in fact they are REALLY vague on everything for some reasons could just be laziness.
    Its been 4 weeks since it launched here in Norway and nothing, not an ounce of reviews, tried asking on Norwegian computer forums, and no one know anyone who got one, in fact the in stock numbers on all the sites that sell it are the same as they were on launch day.
    It says I can buy one, pay later and free returns within 60 days no questions asked, interesting it almost makes me want to just order it just to test it because no one else wants to it seems.
    Only problem if I do this I cannot take it apart, I can only bench it, try some really safe overclocks and undervolts to push the Vega but some users report there no OC ability in the AMD control panel.

If you guys really interested in this, I could go on about it, and I have it in 3 days because the store that sells it here wont let me return it without a REALLY good reason.

@Megol
    I honestly do not care, I stated the prices I got you can sugar coat or debunk them all you want, the important thing here is to test the laptop and see how wrong or how right I am, and to be perfectly clear with you, I hope I am VERY wrong in terms of how it performs, because a good AMD laptop has always been my dream, I used to droll over those super expensive Clevo Athlon laptops back in the day with crossfire ATi mobility GPU's.
    And its also very clear that the last good socketed AMD laptop was that cheapo laptop from MSI with that AMD APU + M290X MXM that performed like a i7-920XM but is from 2013.

raz8020 likes this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That msi laptop had a terrible chipset which bogged down the entire system. For certain it was a poor system.

Looking forward to more information but most importantly looking forward to how manipulative the system is. Being able to manipulate the tdp of the 2700 is a given but waiting to see if the tdp of the Vega 56 is on the table. That's the crux of the laptop. Assuming everything else about the system is above board.

SMGJohn likes this.
  4. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  5. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well Komplett.no have two fewer machines listed than they had before, 7 now, 9 when first becoming available. Which shows that there isn't much interest in these of course.
    The interesting thing for me is actually seeing things like if there are two M.2 sockets available, the Ryzen 2700 is a known thing and the Vega 56 is almost a known thing assuming it is a power optimized version of the desktop chip. So the GTX 1070 is faster and the i7 8750HQ will be faster for single threaded workloads, acceptable for me to avoid Intel if the design is otherwise good (the Meltdown exploit and the PR with lies following it _really_ pisses me off).
    While I of course would be interested in some real testing it wouldn't feel right with you taking a risk - however slight - if you isn't doing it for your own sake.
    I agree that the important thing is someone testing the thing properly, hoped notebookcheck would do the right thing as their tests while not perfect (what is) is systematic and allows comparisons with other machines. While they have reviewed 2 Intel versions of the Helios 500 they seem not too interested in reviewing the AMD version - a bit strange. Or not, standard operating procedure in the PC world - don't talk about AMD, don't compare with AMD or Intel may have to increase costs for some manufacturers...

Didn't want to debunk anything BTW just reporting what I saw when looking at those sites. For instance the Helios 500 have a FHD 144Hz G-sync/FreeSync screen which is at a premium, not important for me but I imagine gamers would choose that.

7. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll be getting my hands on this model next week, ordered one today as I got negative answer back from the customs here in Norway on a clevo I wanted to import. Will post my thoughts and a in depth review when I receive it and get to play with it.

Sent fra min SM-N960F via Tapatalk

bennyg and hmscott like this.
  8. User32

User32 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    2200€ for the Ryzen version F no, when my P50 bites the dust i'm getting a CF-54.

Really interested in hearing about the thermal performance though.

s4lem0nsen likes this.
  9. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well looks like we have to wait... my order got cancelled and I'm waiting for a answer on why? They have removed the ryzen model from the web shop also. I'll keep you all updated. I hope it's not a complete lineup removal...

Sent fra min SM-N960F via Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Acer has been weird for a while now with cutting edge model releases, sparse shipments, drawn out release, yet strangely still shipping months and years later still, IDK what to think - I am hoping they are mimicking Asus's actions of a while ago, testing the market, tuning the design, then finally delivering down the road.

It makes you wonder if they are stalling to get into a new design for a new CPU / GPU - AMD has been releasing new higher wattage mobile CPU's - which fit better into the thermal headroom of laptops better than desktop CPU's.

I'd keep pursuing outlets to get what you want, don't wait on a particular vendor, just find them in stock and pounce on it, that seems to work best for those I've seen successfully get one of the hard to find / get Acer's.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your progress. :)

s4lem0nsen and TheReciever like this.