Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Foxxer

Foxxer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested new drivers
    Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.10.2
    when waking up from sleep mode?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Haven't had a chance really.
    Even newer drivers have been released.
    I'm still on 21.5.2 as I'm kinda sick of trying out new drivers and then reinstalling old ones (though to be fair, I can simply roll back to earlier version).

For some reason, I get the sensation as if certain software (beyond games) isn't properly accelerated via Vega 56.
    Zoom for example when its in full screen mode shows people's webcams as if its skipping frames... but when I exit full screen, it stabilizes.

3. Nuter

Nuter Newbie

Reputations:
    Its fixed for a newer driver builds, btw could someone share new power table for our vega?

4. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those of you with a clean install, do Windows still want to install a 2018 Radeon driver for some ****ed up reason?
    Microsoft is making a good case why I should just go Linux and forget all the crap.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, its not fixed.
    I'm still getting the same problem (static noise coming out of sleep mode) with every new driver after 21.5.2.

If you fixed yours, I'd be glad to learn how you managed to do that.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd use Linux, but can't.
    3d Studio Max 2022 refuses to work with Wine, or any other Linux software which can usually make Windows software run under it. It just refuses to work (fundamentally incompatible)... and I need this program for my coursework (they don't allow us to do stuff in Blender for example - at least not for this course).
    Plus, there's a whole bunch of Adobe stuff I'm paying for which also appears to not run on Linux well... so I really can't switch.

Sure, there's alternative software which I could use, but it would take re-training in most of them, and we're not allowed to use any replacement for 3dsMax for the coursework.

EDIT: I switched from 'sleep mode' to Hybernation for now so I can use the latest drivers. I find the differences to be... minimal to non-existent between the two... plus, in case of a power loss, you don't lose the previous session like you would with Sleep mode. Think I'll stick with Hybernate from now on.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  7. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just some update about my laptop. I was able to get 47.5mh/s for ETH mining at ~139w from the software which is decent (about the same hashrate as desktop 6700xt though at higher wattage). So some money can be made when I am not using it. What a shame Acer wouldn't upgrade the bios to support zen3....

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You might entertain the thought of ergo mining at some point, Vega does about as well as a 3070 iirc

9. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It was doing about 160mh/s for ergo before the recent update. After the recent update, Vegas got nerfed about 25%.

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah after reading your post this seems to be a recent change. How unfortunate. Could hit around 185Mh/s if you really wanted to.