Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The CPU temperature in this unit doesn't usually exceed 75 degrees Celsius when fully stressed... if its going over 80, it might be time to clean up the internals and repaste the CPU and GPU (using the X method and quality paste such as say ThermalFX).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. sinitar

sinitar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got myself a used Helios 500. I was wondering if anyone has successfully tuned the vram timing using amdmemtweak? I tried to improve the mining hashrate by changing the vram timing the same way as my desktop vega 56, however I didn't see any improvement (the vram timing settings improved desktop vega hashrate by >10%), and even worse, it often resulted in 500mhz mem clock which killed the hashrate.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I hadn't messed around with AMDMEMTWEAK so I can't comment on that. I'd just leave it where it is right now because I don't think the latest drivers are very 'kind' on Vega being overclocked etc.

In other news, I decided to do a little upgrade.
    Ordered myself the HX429S17IBK2/64 Memory (2x32 GB).This memory has JEDEC timings of 17 and 2900MhZ speed... so I plan on removing existing 4x8 GB (2400MhZ CL19 or CL20) RAM sticks from all 4 slots, and just use the easily accessible RAM slots to install this new RAM in dual channel mode. Hopefully, it will work at higher speeds etc. (it should because the JEDEC timings are much lower and this RAM doesn't depend on XMP to be sped up to 2933MhZ because it works PnP at those settings - which is why I got that RAM in the first place).

I think 64GB will do me just fine for a while longer so I can make most use of faster RAM timings and double the capacity - should also (hopefully) accelerate everything by about 10% or so.

Also, I will be replacing the 512GB nVme SSD with 2TB Sabrent one (for OS and software - I need a bigger capacity SSD for that as I'm running out of space... so I figured, I might as well get the fast one too).

I don't think I'll be doing any more upgrades on this machine after this though - the next time I consider an upgrade, it'll be an entirely new laptop.

Had Acer decided to upgrade the BIOS for this machine, I would have installed Zen 3 (12c/24th at 65W) inside as a 'final upgrade' for the next few years... but alas...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Papusan and crimson_volna like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just finished a fresh Windows Home x64 install on my new Sabrent 2TB SSD.
    The system starts in just a couple of seconds now (thanks no doubt to 6x faster speed of the SSD).

I noticed there is no more 30 seconds delay when I press CTRL+P (this was an issue on this machine with an OEM Windows install and shouldn't have existed in the first place - it was a cause for some major slowdowns I think).
    Its possible I may have just addressed a major issue that plagued my system performance before in professional software too with a fresh/clean Windows install (though I won't know until I re-install 3dsMax 2022 and other software and see if the thing is behaving better - hopefully it will).

Now I just have to wait for my 64GB RAM to arrive (which won't be here until about 11th - 15th september.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    crimson_volna likes this.
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account?

You might have seen the thread noting that disk encryption is enabled in advanced for what seems to be Microsoft accounts so that might be a small amount of the delay with CTRL+P

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Atm, I'm using a local account.
    However, the 30 second (or longer) delay wasn't just appearing after pressing CRL+P (to prompt the print screen to appear). It also appeared if I were to open say Libre Office for the first time after a restart or when starting WordPad for the first time after a restart. Also accessing some deeper settings in Liber Office produced the same delay.

On other computers which used Microsoft accounts (laptops too), such a delay never existed - I think it was just a badly installed OS, or Acer messed something up when setting it up themselves.

Also, whenever I was finished installing new versions of Libre Office (and removing previous ones), the software would hang in exactly the same manner. I had to wait for about 30 seconds before it would start working and other Libre Office software became accessible.

Now, with a fresh install, I don't have those problems.

I have had some of the worst experiences with OEM Windows installations (lower performance, inability to install games or progress in them for some reason and unexpected software hang ups, just to name a few)... its one of the reasons I usually format the OS drive first and install stuff myself, but I never got a chance to do that with this one... and with college, I was too busy.
    So, when I got the new SSD, it was a perfect opportunity, and it seems to have paid off.

I think a lot of these issues could possibly stem from OEM's mass installations.
    They probably don't do it one by one... or, if they configure systems in a specific manner, they might be breaking the OS in the process.
    I'm just speculating of course, so I don't know, but I always had 'some' issues with OEM Windows installations in the past.

They should make every effort to design a laptop that requires minimum or no extra setting up for 'special vendor features' (because most of the time they aren't really worth the time).
    Include proper drivers and software for users to install themselves from the website, and just make sure to continue to release updated BIOS at least and some crucial software for the laptop if its needed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Reciever and Papusan like this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Also, an update on the GPU drivers.
    The latest Adrenaline 21.8.2 drivers are producing the static noise coming out of sleep (again)... however, the latest Radeon Enterprise PRO drivers seem to be working just fine coming out of sleep mode (I'm running them now).

This is odd because the Pro enterprise drivers are classed as ones from July... and yet no driver after Adrenaline 21.5.2 works properly coming out of sleep mode for some reason.

8. Foxxer

Foxxer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The latest Radeon Enterprise PRO 21.Q3 (Release Date 15/9/2021) drivers are producing the static noise coming out of sleep (too). Checked and rolled back to 21.Q1.2 today

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I sent a bug report to AMD with a screenshot and video of what's happening.
    Hoefully, they will address the issue in the upcoming Adrenaline releases like they have before... but obviously, there is no guarantee.
    I would use the Radeon Enterprise PRO drivers, however, I discovered there is a bit of a slowdown with them here and there in terms of video playback that doesn't happen with Adrenaline drivers... plus, the Enterprise PRO driver features themselves do not appear to function (unehancements for CAD programs) as you need to have an actual Enterprise Pro GPU for them to do that - otherwise, the drivers themselves just look like regular Adrenaline drivers in settings.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Btw, anyone have Waves MaxxAudio for download?
    I tried installing it via Acer's download section which was included in the drivers, but it just doesn't do anything it seems.
    Also, my first reinstall had a fault of some kind, and since then Waves Maxx Audio has been reporting that the audio driver is outdated (even though its not).
    Any idea on how to solve these issues?