Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PsixPro

PsixPro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whoa. I bought Boardview with our board. We have the ability to overclock the laptop HARDWARE. We can increase the voltage on the video card by removing or changing the position of the element on the board.

Attached Files:

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Probably security updates or compatibility updates for Windows 10 20H2 given the release timeframe. It is all the engineers are allowed to do on old products like that. If you want Zen3 support then hope for a successor using the Helios 700 chassis which seems pretty close the 500 (but Intel+Nvidia only at the moment).

3. PsixPro

Reputations:

Attached Files:

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's the weird thing, the release timeframe is October 2020... which seems interesting to me. Since its Insyde that provides the bios itself, its possible they may have incorporated support for at least Zen 2 and high frequency RAM in all 4 slots.
    Trouble is... we don't know what kind of updates it contains, so short of spending money on Zen 2 cpu's to try it out, we need Acer or Insyde to let us know (ironically I reached out Insyde as well and they mentioned I should talk to the OEM... or in this case, Acer).

6. PsixPro

Reputations:
    Acer is not an OEM in this case. OEM is quanta computer. Based on the ZGX from quanta computer, Acer created the Helios PH517-61.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The manufacturer of the laptop I should have said.

8. PsixPro

Reputations:
    A friend. Did you flash the modified bios through the programmer?

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    @PsixPro see these posts for when I tried to dump/mod/flash the bios. After spending a week or two trying to fix it I ended up sending it to Acer where they swapped in a new motherboard.

10. evolucion8

evolucion8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A brief summary of my experiencie.

The static after sleep never got fixed no matter what drivers I used. It got fixed when I upgraded my Windows 10 to 2004

2) I can upgrade my GPU drivers without issues, as far as I don't use the Factory Reset. If you do that, Freesync no longer work, but does not require the installation of the original drivers, by just using CRU add the Freesync Support range with the tool after installing the drivers, delete the unused monitors on the list, reboot and voila, it works.

3) Don't use the Ryzen power profile, it is meant for first gen Ryzen to allow the CPU to be stuck at 90% so the CPU can control its power states, not needed for second Gen. If you use the Ryzen power profile, the CPU will be stuck at 3.40GHz no matter what. If you change it to balanced, it will allow the CPU to idle at 1.5GHz but ramp the clockspeeds up to 4.10GHz during light workloads, allowing the system to feel snappier on lightly threaded applications as the Windows power scheme already contains the fixes for the second gen Ryzen. Ryzen 3x00 series clock behavior works the same no matter if you use generic balanced or the Ryzen performance as it already supports CCCP and does its own lol.

4) The latest Ryzen Master tool works like a champ and allows you to ramp up the memory clocks when you upgrade the RAM in the case that it only runs at 2,133MHz. Not tested with higher than 2,400MHz.

5) Battery life depletes quickly, already 30% in less than a year, those Panasonic cells aren't really that great.