Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Pretty sure that's a warranty replacement due to bricking the laptop.

2. starkid84

starkid84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ahh I see. you might be right.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    It did brick the laptop. After trying to flash the backup I had and multiple different recovery methods, I ended up calling Acer Support, explaining what I had done and a manager decided to let me RMA anyways.

For the record, the only model laptop I have EVER seen a manufacturer publish a bios update that support a new revision of processors, was the MSI WT75. It came with an i7-8700, but with the update had full microcode support for the i9-9900k to be dropped in. They also upped the EC TDP caps too so the CPU could pull up to 138W and maintain boost clocks at 4.7ghz. It also supported MSI's smaller MXM cards without the supplemental power connector, so a 1070 could be swapped in and modded with the Pascal VBIOS Tweaker Tool to pull ~185W just like the GT73. I know everyone wants to hate on MSI but they have made some decent laptops in the past.

downloads likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Acer also made a decent PH517-61... the coolest and quietest laptop on the market and one of the most powerful for the year it was made (and at an affordable price)... and then they messed it up with not including a BIOS update for latest Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPU's or high RAM speed support.

5. PsixPro

PsixPro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know. Maybe you should write a petition on change.org??? Maybe someone could do it? And put forward a list of requirements:
    1) Fixed freesync on the latest drivers
    2) Introduce support for amd 3000 series and possibly 5000.
    3.1) Introduce support for high-speed 2666 memory when working in 2/4 slots.
    3.2) Or unlock the bios and let people choose the frequency themselves

6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Has Acer already announced their CES products for this year? I am guessing there was no mention of a Helios 500 successor. They seem to only be interested in the thin and light models for now...

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nothing that I've read about.
    Although I have tried getting in touch with Acer again via Facebook and asked them about the Optional Insyde BIOS update that appeared on Windows 10 and if they could tell me what that update contains (aka, Zen 2 and/or Zen 3 microcode updates, security updates and/or support for higher RAM speeds). They said they will forward my request to their other department and asked for my email... but its been about a month since they got my email, so I still hadn't received a reply.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    change 3.1 to 'Introduce support for high speed 3200 MhZ memory when working in 2/4 slots.

3.2 is not a bad idea, but I'd prefer support for over 3000 MhZ memory when 2 or 4 slots are populated.. and microcode updates for both Zen 2 and Zen 3.

Just imagine putting 5900x into this thing. It would increase performance by well over a DOUBLE and give us a sizeable boost in gaming at 1080p.

9. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is the standard method for updating BIOS/Firmware/drivers on Windows 10 now, they are given to Microsoft who then make them available to compatible devices via WU. Going forward some companies wont even have them available as download on their sites (Though Dell/HP/Lenovo have confirmed they will still provide drivers/etc as not all machines are connected to the internet).

Something to remember of course is that Acer didn't design the BIOS on the H500 and possibly didn't even design the board either, and it's possible that this laptop isn't the only device out there using a compatible BIOS/etc so this new one may have been requested from Insyde by another manufacturer who used the same design in their product. Similar to how you can get a BIOS update from Dell that works on multiple laptops across different families.

In case anyone finds the above confusing as this was the only laptop made with a Vega 56 mobile GPU, the GPU is physically part of the board layout but it is essentially an add in card that has been merged into the board to avoid putting an MXM slot on the board, for all intents an purposes it is an add in card as far as any BIOS/firmware/driver/software are concerned (I did try to explain this earlier in the thread but some people didn't understand). So it is very possible that there are variants of this board with no built in GPU out there in laptops and even desktops which would be BIOS compatible with ours.

It would be awesome if we could upgrade our laptops, I for one would love to drop a 5600X and some 2800-3000Mhz RAM in mine, but in fairness to them Acer never designed or marketed the H500 for upgradability, if they had done so it would have cost a lot more due to requiring longer term support and the effect it would have on sales of its successor. Hence why an equally performing Alienware 51m (the only "upgradable" laptop released by a named manufacturer in the past decade) cost nearly a grand more.

When somebody on the internet talks about upgrading their laptop what they usually mean is that they bought the i5 instead of the i7 to save money then waited a few years and picked up the i7 for their machine off eBay (Or did the same with the GPU if it was removable). In a very few cases laptops with removable GPUs have accepted the GPUs from newer models (I.E putting a Firepro intended for a Dell M6800 in a M6600) but installing newer gen CPUs is practically unheard of aside from a few brand X manufacturers providing the support in order to entice people to buy a brand X laptop.

Even if somebody hacked the BIOS to support newer CPUs I wouldn't want to put a 3950X in mine, these laptops were designed around having an 88w 2700 in them, if you replace that with a 142w CPU then it's possible one of the following four things may happen (may not will, it all depends how the laptop was designed to handle it):
    1. The CPU throttles as it's hitting power cap.
    2. The GPU throttles as the thirstier CPU is using more of the available power.
    3. They both throttle as they battle for power.
    4. You smell burning.
    Personally I would stick a 3800/5800X in mine if we got Zen3/4 support.

10. PsixPro

PsixPro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021