Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As far as I know, ACER said that the second slot is not NVme compatible. I tried it in mine too and it didn't work.
    If the slot itself is CAPABLE of having NVme drives in it but BIOS support is lacking from Acer, then its the same case its with the socket. The motherboard is B450, therefore compatible with both Zen 2 and Zen 3, but lacks BIOS updates to allow us to use newest CPU's.

I wouldn't worry about leaking these to anyone... I was simply curious.

Same. Microsoft is hardly without faults, but I would surmise that their methods of detection have improved over time and would allow us to install this Insyde update without problems (trouble is, BIOS updates are STILL not danger free... especially for laptops. Sure, we could 'technically' bypass the problem by flashing the BIOS from Acer's website with a USB flasher... still, its not exactly a fool-proof procedure either and no guarantees it would work).

If you know someone, be my guest. But this unit was relatively 'rare' when it was released to begin with, and its not exactly 'well known'. So, I don't know how much of a success would people have.

What do you mean by replacing the BIOS rom with a socket first?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its possible that since that Insyde UEFI update is so recent, it probably includes all the security updates to date (which is a welcome bonus) and maybe some performance improvements.

It might also be usable to see if that update carries with it RAM speed improvements and Zen 2 microcode updates (I wouldn't expect Zen 3 support until at least early next year though since its a B450 mobo).

Problem is, we have no way of verifying what kind of updates this includes.
    We could try contacting them via Twitter if someone can find their username there (I think I did, but messaging was no allowed - same with most major companies like ACER, AMD, Intel, NV, etc.).
    So, how do we get their attention via Twitter?

Hm... maybe old fashion email?

3. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't end up selling mine and gave it to my son instead, and he's been using it daily for school and gaming. Around a month ago the factory ram crapped out. As I had upgraded to 32GB, fixing it was pretty easy, just pulled the factory ram out and put the other 16GB in its place. He doesn't do anything that needs 32GB of ram so I left the other slots open and still runs great. The fans needed a good cleaning, so if any of you haven't pulled it apart to clean it, I definitely would.

I was hoping there would be a zen2 bios by now as I'll have a 3950X looking for a home soon and figured I'd swap it in, but looks like that's still a no go. Disappointing, but it's still a fairly powerful dtr even if it's now getting beaten by my sub 4lbs asus g14.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There is an optional UEFI update for the BIOS via Windows from Insyde... its dated to October this year (so from 2 months ago), but we don't know what kind of updates it contains.

5. PsixPro

PsixPro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
  7. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. PsixPro

Reputations:
    It's me. I could not register at that time here :( If you have the opportunity and desire, I would like to ask a couple of questions somewhere in the discord. Is it possible?

9. starkid84

starkid84 Newbie

Reputations:
    win32asmguy, sold his helios to me, so it didnt brick the laptop, but it wasn't succesful. I also wanted to see this machine reach its full potential but acer really has dropped the ball on this.

Hopefully the community can come up with a way to update the bios so we can really make this laptop what it really is capable of being.

10. PsixPro

Reputations:
    I don't like Acer's politics. They have everything the same, which is for a $ 500 laptop, which is for a $ 2000 laptop. It is not right. I also bought my laptop used.