Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep did that and worked like a charm thank you. I apologize for a late reply never got a notification and randomly decided to check forums. Thanks again for your help!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone experiencing a weird display contrast and color issue when on battery?
    My screen brightness is lower (about half of what it usually is) and colors look a bit washed out... however, this is ONLY happening on battery - the moment I plug into the mains, the display acts properly.

Is this a calibration problem or down to something else? Any potential solutions?

And yes, this has been happening since I bought the laptop (so the drivers aren't the issue here) - oh and, the screen brightness being lower on battery has nothing to do with the brightness slider (as that is set to max)... but regardless of this, the display still looks dimmer with slightly washed out colors or incorrect contrast when running on battery.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  3. Vaardu

Vaardu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This sounds familiar to one of the two AMD laptops I have in the house. It sounds like PowerPlay's Vari-Bright is on. Checked the Catalyst Control Center/AMD Radeon settings for it?

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yup, I think that may have done it.
    :)
    Thank you.

Vaardu likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For those of you who have this laptop, are you experiencing some occasional delays?
    In my case, when I press CTRL+P in Libre Office there is a very long delay of 10 to 20 seconds before the printing window appears...
    In WordPad, this happens as well, but if the print window opens immediately, after its closed, the document is temporarily unresponsive.

Anyone else experiencing these minor delays with document based software?
    Sometimes if I'm using Libre Office, when it comes to entering the document deeper settings, there is a similar delay.

Is it Windows based or what?

My Power mode is set to best performance, but Power Options are set to AMD Ryzen Balanced profile.

As you can see from my signature, I'm running all SSD's... no astray programs running in the background, no malware present, etc.

Oh and I tried re-installing LibreOffice many times.
    This problem does not occur on the 10 year old Intel laptop which has Windows 10.

Maybe I need a clean install of Windows 10... but the issue I had the last time (before I bought this replacement) was that Windows kept telling me it couldn't install on a said partition and that I should check the media (no GPT or MBR error).

Some people suggested changing the BIOS mode from Legacy+UEFI to pure UEFI or vice versa... but given our BIOS is locked, we can't use that option.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Finally found someone selling the schematics. Fun fact: the second SSD slot actually is wired to support two lanes of PCIe for SATA express.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Meaning what exactly?
    Also, could you send me those schematics?

8. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm, i spotted new bios update via windows updates. Anyone tried new bios from windows updater?

New driver is Insyde Software - Firmware 5.23.1.9

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I saw that too.
    Not sure if its the wisest course of action to allow a BIOS/UEFI update via Windows - or, at the very least, I wouldn't try it unless you have a USB programmer (with that clipper that can read the ROM chip without desoldering it from the motherboard) at the ready and another computer to install it with.

More to the point, this looks like a pure UEFI update.
    Not sure if we'd gain anything with it - unless Insyde decided to include microcode updates for Zen 3 and fast RAM... in which case, I'd whip out my USB programmer and install away. :D
    And then, assuming the install was successful, I'd go online and buy 5900x along with 64GB of 3.2GhZ or 3.6GhZ RAM.

P.S. You know, Acer might be a dead end as far as BIOS updates go. What if we tried asking Insyde to provide us with a Zen 2/3 microcode upgrade with fast RAM?

P.P.S. It seems this update was released in October 2020. Interesting. According to Insyde, they seem to work closely with Intel and AMD to provide support for their reference designs.
    Would be interesting if this thing at least gave us access to Zen 2 and far better support for RAM.

Anyone willing to install and see if it made any difference?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Meaning, if I understand SATA express correctly, that the second M.2 slot should support PCIe over two gen 3 lanes. SATA express is stated to be either SATA or PCIe the SATA express device having to support an AHCI or a NVMe interface, this means things like eGPU or even another NVMe drive should be possible. The problem being that people have tried NVMe drives in the second slot and it didn't work.

Would if I wasn't wary they could somehow link a leak to me, getting cut off this reseller could be a problem in the future and this is the only one I've found after years of searching so...
    Got it from here: http://laptop-schematics.com/view/12270/

It doesn't state exactly what devices it applies to or what is updated. While I'd like to believe Microsoft knows what they're doing I simply don't, not without more data.

It's not that simple however with the schematics it'd be possible to get someone with a license to make a compatible BIOS. Or perhaps simply hacking one of the recent releases from e.g. Asus motherboards for 16MiB B450 motherboards. Would be nice discussing it with someone familiar with modern laptop design to hear if simply inserting the modules for the embedded controller and so would be enough.

Thinking about it. Would be nice replacing the BIOS ROM with a socket first...