Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. Does anyone know how to enable freesync after installing latest drivers? If it's not possible do you know which driver version is safe to install? I decided to update everything but now freesync is broken.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You need to use CRU utility (freely available online) to manually set the refresh rate for freesync from 60-144hz, then apply that and restart the laptop (freesync works after that with latest drivers ).

If you need further instructions, I posted an image here several pages back which details how to use the thing.
    I will find it for you if you need it

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    crimson_volna likes this.
  3. crimson_volna

Reputations:
    I'll find it. Thank you very much Deks!

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  5. crimson_volna

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. Freesync is enabled in the driver menu now. New drivers have definitely increased performance. In RE2 I used to get 92 fps in the main hall and now I get around 106. It's a nice boost for sure. Freesync seems to be working but I'm not 100 percent sure. Need to test in other games. Thanks again for the help, Deks.

Deks likes this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No problem.
    Freesync should be working, at least I hadn't noticed that it wasn't working.
    :)

7. crimson_volna

Reputations:
    Just checked out ace combat 7 and yep freesync is working perfectly.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Another happy person.
    :)
    You will need to run CRU utility when you install new drivers... although, I wouldn't necessarily suggest updating to EVERY new version... unless the newest drivers bring good enough improvements/fixes, then you might as well stay on current version for a while.

9. crimson_volna

Reputations:
    Hey Deks, sorry to bother you, I actually have a problem figured you might know the solution. Windows updated amd drivers automatically for some reason now they are broken. Does your machine do that?

I remember early in the thread people had this problem, though for me, this is the first time I'm witnessing such behaviour.

Does this still occurs with yours or are you still applying group policy methods from earlier?

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, mine does/did that too.
    The trick is you need to set Windows to NOT update the drivers for your devices (go into Control Panel, then System, Advanced System Settings, Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings - click on NO).

However, I already did that and Windows decided to update AMD drivers anyway, so someone mentioned to me I needed to download a small Microsoft tool which will allow you to HIDE the AMD driver updates (that way MS Update won't show or install them).

Its a 'Show or Hide updates' Tool.
    You can download it here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

So, the way the utilty works is pretty simple. I think however you need to run it AFTER you've installed the Adrenaline drivers (though obviously you'd first remove corrupted drivers by using AMD driver removal tool).