Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This could be down to the drivers.
    I'm still using 20.8.1. drivers and I don't have an issue using MSI Afterburner for overclocking.
    I'm not updating to newest versions until more fixes/improvements are incorporated.

2. airstars

airstars Newbie

Reputations:
    You need to add cpu microcode to bios in order to support newer cpu.
    Try ask Lost_N_BIOS for his help. He can help you update the cpu microcode and unlock bios if needed.
    https://www.win-raid.com/f54-BIOS-Modding-Requests.html

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I know a CPU microcode is needed to support new CPU's... that's why I reached out to Acer to see if they are willing to do something about it (evidently, they are not).

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I was thinking on possibly doing a bit of an 'experiment' by trying to see if we can supply our BIOS on Win-Raid Forum to see if someone can put in needed microcode updates into it and unlock the thing so we could install Zen 2/Zen 3 and high speed RAM into the unit.

Now, I know someone tried to extract the BIOS before and they managed to bork the MOBO (but only because they were trying to edit it in the process apparently).
    So, my question is, would just extracting the BIOS (without trying to edit or otherwise touch it) be safe?
    Or can we download the BIOS from somewhere?

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You can try it on the one I dumped, if you like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj5ree1bfcywcw3/H20UVE.zip?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi5s1yef2lrlwu7/backup.zip?dl=0

Now, does anyone here know how to make soft power play tables for Navi mobile, similar to how it was done for the Vega56 mobile? I want to try it on the 5700m.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Which one is it?
    Backup?
    Btw, what about this:
    https://vinafix.com/threads/acer-predator-helios-500-predator-ph517-61-bios-zgx.37111/

Its the 1.08v of the BIOS for our machine.
    Would that do too?

Oh and out of curiosity... which ROM programmer is needed for our machine?
    I THINK I got the correct one, but I'm not sure.

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah. The first is a utility to modify options in the bios.

Just keep in mind that the bios chip has a partition that stores your windows license, mac address, serial number, so you are probably best to just dump your own bios if you intend to later flash it. A ch341a with a 1.8v adapter and 8-pin pomona clip should work. The bios chip is located near the GPU and can be accessed without removing the heatsink. Do not try to dump the chip before removing the backup coin battery and ensuring you are properly grounded.

8. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Deks wait about microcode, i will write on amd and acer when amd release the new 4000 series.

I read someone cant oc gpu on new drivers, yes i can comfirm, my powerplay table not working good with new drivers, i think i need to update with other files. Everytime when i update i need to do new powerplaytable again just for each drivers.

5700m uses the same path like 5700xt, sadly i dont have 5700m or 5700xt and i cant make a powerplay table.