Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, not exactly a technical question so hope this is allowed, but does anybody know the current going rate for one of these laptops used? I'm planning on parting with mine but there haven't been any AMD ones sold on UK eBay recently so have no idea how much to ask for.

It's a fully working unit in great condition due to very infrequent use, fitted with an extra 120GB M.2 drive plus the 1TB HDD has been replaced with a 1TB SSD, it also has the original box plus the optional Acer Predator rucksack.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you have any suggestions on how I can OC my Vega 56?
    The MSI Afterburner isn't playing nice. It keeps resetting my clocks to stock.

It may be that Afterburner isn't playing nice with latest drivers for some reason... either that or I forgot to turn something on (though I don't see how... since everything is set to 'manual' in Tuning)

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried installing older version of MSI Afterburner (4.4.2) and it worked.
    I was able to OC the GPU to 1450MhZ core and 900MhZ HBM.

Looks like newest version of MSI Afterburner isn't working with Vega 56 as it should.

I did get a boost on Horizon Zero Dawn (though it wasn't radical) and am running it at 1080p Ultra. FPS are still much lower (around 35-45 FPS) compared to where they should be (as V56 should easily be able to hit about/over 60 FPS in this title at 2K even).

4. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MSI works with new drivers, i use it all the time. OverdriveNTool works and is good, it still one of the best oc programs for AMD, Sapphire Trixx works too.

About your performance, boost wasnt radical because you hit power limit with 120w gpu even with higher clocks than stock and gpu need more headroom to breathe, all you need is to unlock power to get better gains. And with 120w limit, overclocked gpu will work better only with undervolting + overclocking, only overclock wont get you better performance.

Uckaynotebook likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For me, latest MSI afterburner isn't working properly. I don't know why... it keeps resetting the clocks.
    Only the older version works fine.

To be fair, I wasn't 'expecting' a radical boost in the first place... mainly because I know Horizon Zero Dawn isn't exactly well optimized for PC in the first place and Vega gpu's have been especially hammered by it (which the devs are in the process of patching).
    But even with stock (non-overclocked) Vega 56 in this machine, I should be getting well over 60 FPS at 1080p Ultra seeing how a stock Vega 56 should be getting over 60 FPS at 2K Ultra.

Anyway, I do agree I am likely hitting a power limit... I was just testing out the OC to see how it behaves. The clocks do end up dropping to about 1350MhZ if it hits 120W... but HBM stays at 900Mhz.
    I will do an undervolt, but a minor one at best because I recall that I couldn't undervolt too much without crashing with an overclock on my previous Helios 500.

I'll see what I can accomplish with 120W TDP... as I likely don't necessarily need it to be more powerful.
    However, you mentioned that the power mod carries some risk to it (what kind exactly?).

6. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    GPU gets hotter with power Mod, but not that much as long as you lift the back of the laptop for more air. Leaving GPU oced all the time may degrade the gpu, not sure about this but i've read some post about vega cards getting unstable when oced for long periods of time. For me, i just oc My gpu if I need fps boost.

Btw, anyone played new Flight Sim yet?

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I obviously don't want to fry the GPU... but given the cooling in this unit, its unlikely the GPU would suffer much/any degradation even with a continuous OC (which will also depend on how often one uses the GPU like that since the OC only kicks in when the GPU is stressed by games or productivity software in general)... sure the temps would climb up (which is understandable), but unless its running at well over 85 degrees Celsius, I don't think it would be a problem.

Right now, if the GPU is OC-ed to 1450 MhZ on core and 900MhZ HBM without the power mod, it does go up to 70-71 degrees C...
    I don't think that pushing the frequencies on either core or HBM past this point would gain me much of an advantage seeing how V56 is still very capable of running pretty much all games maxed out at 2k (and our screen is 1080p).
    Even with the power mod and given the needed rise in frequencies, I don't think the temps would/should go over 80 degrees Celsius.

8. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The power mod helps the GPU to stabilize its clock speed. I've noticed that with undervolting my gpu with the limit, clockspeed tends to go all over the place. With the power mod, the GPU is unleashed and can clock as high as it can and a bit more stable though less efficient. I've never seen my GPU consume more than 150 watts yet it gets similar performance with a desktop stock vega 56.

9. Nuter

Nuter Newbie

Reputations:
    I actually cannot OC my vega, driver crashing all the time, using 20.8.2. stable clocks=default clocks. Dunno why i always get black screen, and a few minutes later driver restarts and all my clocks got reseted. Maybe a power problem? Should i restrict it up to 20% or so?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the same problem. Have the best HBM (Samsung? Don't remember) and still can't overclock. :/