Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually you can, i made a powerplay table, look page 77 xD Have fun ;)

Uckaynotebook likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I tried sending another question to Acer on Twitter to ask them if there has been any progress regarding the BIOS upgrade request... thus far, no reply.
    Seems like they might be going back to ignoring.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  4. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How, i think its not true, ryzen 2700 supports only 64gb. Its only possible with 3900x and up.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 2700 specs on AMD website don't state its limited to 64GB.
    They do mention it supports speeds of 2933MhZ though (nothing about memory capacity).

Still, wikichip apparently mentions 64GB as maximum RAM... which begs the question, how did the guy on Acer forums manage to get 128GB to work in his PH517-61

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  6. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes 64gb is maximum confirmed and supported and works on all motherboards i think, but 128gb, depends. And yes, maybe pc reads all 128gb but the real question is, it is stable? I didnt saw any prof of prime 95 with 24h test.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Btw, currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn game...
    On my vega 56 and High settings, I only get 59FPS during cut-scenes, but most of the other time during gameplay, it dips down to 25 on some occasions (usually it keeps at about 30 to 45 FPS - not overclocked).

Don't worry, I know the game lacks proper optimizations and that Vega GPU's have suffered horribly in this game... so both the developer and AMD will need to step up.

Also, I tried using MSI Afterburner to overclock the GPU, but it ended up causing problems with the core clocks... it dropped them down to 150MhZ apparently. At one point they refused to exceed 750MhZ (memory I was able to overclock) when I tried using Wattman manual override.
    And on another occasion, it reads the stock core clocks fine, but every time I try to apply higher clocks, they just 'reset' (the core clocks keep resetting themselves all the time - can't raise them).

Any suggestions on how to reliably oveclock this thing to say 1450MhZ on core and 900MhZ HBM and what to use (and how)?
    MSI Afterburner is not being cooperative and Wattman is even less reliable (the settings have changed so much that its become very difficult to make heads or tails out of it).

8. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a difference between supported and possible.

When AMD were creating the Ryzen 2000 chips the biggest DDR4 modules that you could use in a consumer AM4 board were 16GB so they could only test/certify the chips for use with up to four 16GB modules (64GB). When Acer were making the Helio 500 the biggest SODIMMs around were 16GB so again they could only test/certify with up to four 16GB modules (64GB). Manufacturers are not in the habit of going back and retesting discontinued products for compatibility with newer hardware, so in both cases just because it doesn't say >64GB will work does not mean it won't hence why you see people running 128GB on a 2700.

As an example I have a NAS that Synology states supports up to 8TB of storage (2x4TB drives), that doesn't mean it can't use bigger drives it just means bigger drives didn't exist when it was on sale, it's running fine with 20TB (2x10TB).

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good point.
    Certain posts on Reddit seem to indicate that both Zen 1 and Zen+ support 128GB RAM too.
    I was under the impression that RAM support was moved to the CPU... though it would appear this only applies to RAM speeds, not necessarily capacity (which would be down to the motherboard mostly).

It would be easier if Acer simply posted a BIOS update for this laptop allowing us to use Zen 2 CPU's with support for high speed and low latency RAM too (no more of this auto-downclocking the RAM to 2133 or 2400MhZ if all 4 slots are in use, but rather max out the RAM frequency and using best possible timings that RAM supports at a given frequency).

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, it looks like overclocking Vega 56 is impossible for me.
    When I set core and VRAM to manual and apply the settings, apparently, core frequencies keep resetting themselves or drop to 150MhZ.
    VRAM however I can adjust apparently to 900 but (again) the core frequencies in MSI afterburner drop to 150MhZ after trying to apply the settings.
    And if I set in the drivers to automatically overclock core frequencies, they go up to 1370MhZ apparently, however the VRAM then keeps resetting itself to 800MhZ.

Any idea what's happening?