Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So the 1866MhZ is basically a glitch due to using a radically different memory, but otherwise the Hyper X would technically work on its own at least at 2400MhZ?

Btw, I think 2666MhZ works only if TWO DIMM's are filled up... if 4 are filled, then the mobo defaults to 2400MhZ apparently despite JEDEC profiles (Acer basically did this for whatever reason - but the motherboard itself should be capable of supporting 2666MhZ when all 4 DIMM's are filled with a proper AGESA support - which AMD released of course, but Acer never bothered to integrate - much like Acer never implemented XMP profiles).

I can get another HyperX 2x16GB 2666MhZ C15... but I'd only get that if the existing Hyper X sticks I have end up working at higher than 1866MhZ frequency once they replace the stock RAM.

Having 64GB would be ideal as it would max out the RAM support and be great for my productivity (3d animation courses) for years to come.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure. I think you had a 16gb Crucial 2400mhz memory in your old machine and you probably just lucked out that the timings on that stick perfectly matched the timings on the stock ram, so no downclocking was needed as far as the bios was concerned.

You can try the HyperX ram if you really need over 32gb, although the safe and easy way would be to just get a couple more 8GB sticks to add to the stock ram. Also I am not sure about Acer UK warranty policies, but sometimes doing a replacement like this can void warranty. May want to check on that first if its a concern. I think only the things behind the first plastic door are considered the customer accessible parts.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In my old machine, I had the stock RAM 2x8GB 2400MhZ CL17 like in this one.
    In the old machine I installed 1 stick of 16GB 2400MhZ CL19 I think (or higher timings), but for some reason, the memory frequency was still at 2400Mhz.

I can understand that it would certainly be easier to just install 2x8GB of crucial or other reliable memory into the unit and just live with 32GB, but in all seriousness, I think 64GB would be more useful over the next 4 years or so - mind you, 32GB would probably be adequate, but I can already cap out 16GB easily and 32GB is not far behind... so having 'breathing room' seems better.

I'll wait to see what the technician says (if they could do it or not).
    If not, I will debate with me whether to do it myself following the procedure I found on REDDIT, or just return HyperX and get a refund and get 2x8GB 2400MhZ instead.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok... I decided to return the Hyper X (and get a refund) and just get myself a Corsair RAM (2x16GB) 2400MhZ with CL17 (same as my stock RAM).
    I found out what my stock RAM is and I can find it online for purchase if I wanted to, but from previous experience I know that a single 16GB stick Cosair RAM works just fine and operate at 2400MhZ with stock RAM easily because the Corsair has looser/close enough timings.
    So, technically 2 x 16GB 2400MhZ at CL17 should work fine.

48GB should also be able to run in Dual-Channel so long as RAM frequency and timings are the same between sticks (which they seem to be on Corsair).

The reason for this is simple: I'd lose my warranty if I tried to disassemble the unit to reach the aft RAM, so I decided to just go with the path of less resistance for the moment.

If I find that 48GB is not enough, then I'll eventually upgrade to 64GB.
    And if I find that 48GB is not functioning at 2400MhZ at least, then I'll return that and get 2x8GB instead and upgrade to 64GB at a later time (once the warranty runs out).

I'd still like to prompt all PH517-61 users to continue asking Acer for Zen 2/Zen 3 and high frequency/low latency (XMP profiles too) RAM support.

5. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I asked Acer almost a year ago and they said we can repaste and replace rams, hdds, ssds without voiding a warranty.

.Hdd you can upgrade up to 2Tb
    .SSD NVME it can take up to 512GB
    .Ram you can upgrade up to 64GB using all four ram slots
    .You will not loose warranty by applying thermal paste
    .Even if you bought extended warranty you can still do upgrades in your device

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good to know.
    But regardless, I already returned hyper x ram and ordered 2x16gb 2400mhx cl17 crucial.
    Oh well. Doesn't matter. If I can get 48GB running properly at 2400mhz it should be fine for now.

I think nvme can be upgraded to far higher capacity... Same with m.2 and hdd.
    Don't think there's a hard limit on the capacity so long as you got nvme, m.2 and sata drives and put them in appropriate slots.

7. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Agree, this was only what they tested. I have 1tb nvme ssd inside and i dont have any problems. I will buy 4tb nvme, but right now because of corona, they costs more in my country.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah. Just get upgrades as you can afford them progressively.
    I installed my spare 500gb m.2 into the empty m.2 slot. Just to expand on existing storage for software such as productivity and games.

The hdd I'll probably upgrade at some point to 2tb or more (preferably ssd) once it becomes more affordable. But we basically have a lot of options for fast storage upgrades.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, the laptop refused to POST with Corsair RAM in it.
    I don't understand.
    The Hyper X worked easily, but the total RAM speed was reduced to 1866MhZ while working together with stock RAM.
    Corsair RAM (2x16GB 2400MhZ CL17) alongside stock RAM refused to post on the other hand.

I think Amazon sent me faulty sticks... I installed them without troubles and of course with the system powered down and disconnected from the mains, but the unit refused to POST... once I removed Corsair sticks, the system booted fine with just stock RAM in the system.

I also tried just 1x16GB Corsair RAM in the unit, and that refused to post too.

I already returned the sticks (on the grounds they sent me faulty RAM sticks) and got my refund.

Sigh... so, should I just aim for 2x8GB 2400MhZ CL17 sticks now or what?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Is there some place you can buy two more sticks of your stock ram, SK-Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH? That should ensure that JEDEC timings line up and it will be the mostly likely for the bios to successfully train at 2400mhz with 4 sticks installed.