Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Far as we know, Acer never made a lot of them to begin with in fact there were shortages when it launched probably because more people bought them than Acer expected.
    Thankfully RX5600M and RX5700M are coming very soon

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    SMGJohn likes this.
  3. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Even we see the upcoming arrival of 5600m and 5700m, with so far the announcement from DELL on employing the 5600M, we're still not seeing or forseeing the possibilities of other machine makers to use Radeon GPUs.
    MSI conservatively using the 5500m,
    DELL with 5600m,
    5700M will be from?

4. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No AMD never said explicitly that all AM4 chipsets would support all processors, recently they said that all chipsets prior to 5xx series wouldn't support Zen 3 then changing their story.
    And it's not a question of performing well it's one of working at all - otherwise we could use Zen 2 processors now at a slight performance impact.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD now said they will enable support on B450 and X470 too for Zen3 - and I imagine it will (again) be up to mobo OEM's to release BIOS updates.
    Here's the source:
    https://www.extremetech.com/computi...n-3-ryzen-4000-cpus-on-x470-b450-motherboards

I can live with entire Zen 1 (and Zen + APU's) support being kicked out of the BIOS in favor of Zen 2 and Zen 3 (non APU compatibility).

Acer would only need to include support for Zen 2/Zen3 65W desktop CPU's (we don't even need APU's since our display is not connected to the socket so it wouldn't be able to make use of an iGP in an APU - which is a shame as I could see a 65W TDP Zen 3 8c/16th APU with RDNA 2 iGP being useful for battery life).

Just imagine putting a 4700x (65W 8c/16th) or 4900 (non X - 65W - 12c/24th)) inside the Predator Helios 500 with faster RAM.
    Phew... the performance on this thing would JUMP in games (especially since we're on 1080p still - heck you could even connect an external 2k monitor if you needed to and used Vega 56 on that too) and productivity would skyrocket.

Hm... I wonder if Smart Shift would work in that case seeing how both Zen 3 and Vega 56 are AMD products.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 1:47 PM
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Smart Shift requires firmware as well as certain products, I'm guessing it will be APUs + AMD dGPUs only. The socketed laptop market is small as it is, even more so for AMD.

Besides I think Smart Shift makes more sense in notebooks that have limited power/thermal capabilities. DTRs, particularly this one, don't suffer like thin and lights do.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Indeed, but I still think SmartShift would have been useful if it works with new generation of Zen (3) desktop CPU's and Radeon GPU's.

Regardless, all of this is sadly moot since Acer is unlikely to update the BIOS.
    I guess we could pester them again.