Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    HP already has a 5500M MXM module. It's a option now on their Zbook 17 G6 Mobile Workstation. It would be great if it eventually had a 5700M and 4800H variant. The pricing would probably be more than most gaming laptops but it would be a really nice workhorse.

SMGJohn likes this.
  2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting, be cool to see if it works in other laptops.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Since 5600M and 5700M have been out in the wild for a 'while' now, there's really nothing that would prevent them from working in other laptops... OEM's simply need to integrate them into their designs and produce viable cooling assemblies for them.

What will be interesting to see is how those GPU's PERFORM... especially when paired with 4xxxU and 4xxxH series.
    I'm thinking the 5500M could be used in some U series APU's as a basic laptop with a decent entry mid-range dGPU (if you opt for one with a dGPU).
    5600M/5700M would be reserved for upper end mid-range and higher end gaming (usually APU's of H series) - and by U and H series, I'm talking about Zen 2 mobile.

From what I can tell, both 5600M and 5700M are essentially desktop class GPU chips (seemingly equal hw) with lowered clocks compared to their desktop counterparts (though to be honest, even the desktop versions with stock clocks would probably work just fine in a laptop environment with a nice undervolt... or just a minor underclock up to 100-150MhZ maybe - or both).

Here's a reference on what people were able to achieve by undervolting (and underclocking) their RX 5700XT:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/testing-undervolting-with-my-5700xt.258313/

I'm thinking OEM's should really start paying attention to GPU testing and optimisation so they can set up each GPU individually to lowest voltages that work for that card (that IS what they are supposed to do - create, optimise and test their own versions from reference designs).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    triturbo and SMGJohn like this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    And here I pump over 300w daily lol, but it's true that 5700xt does quite well with undervolting.

SMGJohn likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    300W?
    You mean just 5700XT?
    5700XT (at least on stock) doesn't pull more than 250W (or Total Board Power).

But if you ARE indeed pulling so much from the GPU alone (I can see now in your signature its set to 2.2 GhZ), you might want to pull back on the clocks without sacrificing much/any performance and also undervolt in the process.

I think 1900MhZ can achieve same performance as 2GhZ core clocks but with a pretty good reduction in power draw.

I'd definitely recommend it as I don't think you're getting that much more crucial performance with such high clocks (there are diminishing returns to consider).

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    My temperatures are quite low and I game with headphones so dB doesnt bother me at all. Im still tuning for best possible performance as I am also using it now in HWBOT. I am most definitely pulling about 320w on the card using 1.3v and +99 Power slider. As you saw its on my 5700 XT from PowerColor, still trying to get top ten TimeSpy Extreme with it, #12 at the moment.

I leave it there because I am lazy, but I fully understand and promote the idea of undervolting amongst my friends in teamspeak who also have the card. (or the non XT variant)

Papusan likes this.
  7. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    300W does your room heat up quickly? I got Vega 56 pulling 400W making my room feel like a sauna, sometimes I need to open the windows when its - 20 outside LOL
    But the card only goes about 75 to 80 on air

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It will if I am enclosed, even my 180w laptop would do that though, I usually leave the window cracked open a few inches and that takes care of that in large part.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I've got the Helios 500 (Ryzen/Vega) in my possession again.
    Forgotten how responsive/fast this thing is.

Hehe.
    Already installed and played Ori and the Will of the Wisps - laptop is running cool and quiet.

Oh yes, I did install latest chipset and GPU drivers (Radeon Pro Enterprise ones).
    The Adrenaline drivers are still producing static noise upon bringing the machine out of sleep mode.

Anyway, the Enterprise drivers work great, and Freesync is functioning too (courtesy of CRU software of course)... oh and no sleep issues with Enterprise drivers.

I lodged a report with AMD though about the Adrenaline drivers and static noise... hopefully, they will resolve it at some point... however, I just hope their future Enterprise drivers don't end up with the same problem.

But it got me thinking, is it possible that some portion of the new UI is messing with the machine's ability to come out of sleep properly?

Btw, no hangups with Freesync, RIS or Frame limiting (Radeon Chill) on my end using Enterprise pro drivers.

The only thing left to do is to pop in my second 512GB SSD into the second slot and another 16GB RAM (CL15 2666 MhZ). I figured I should use that RAM since the 2400 MhZ and CL14 is at about £30 more.

Still have software installations to do etc. but otherwise (for right now), things are working fine (oh and I'm not touching the BIOS this time - looks like its using 1.07v, so might as well leave it at that).

Windows is running fine 1909 version.

One negative thing about it is that Microsoft is bundling its own AMD drivers with Window Updates.
    I already disabled automatic driver installation... but it got reactivated when Windows upgraded itself to 1909.... sigh.

10. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If a BIOS works it's always best to just leave it unless something about the laptop needs to be changed (terrible fan curve or something similar). I feel bad for Dellienware and Asus owners who have BIOS updates pushed through Windows Update at complete random.

Papusan likes this.