Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I got this laptop last September and now Hardware Monitor is saying that the Battery Wear level is at 24% already.

I know battery is not that great but, 24% wear level in just 5 months is crazy! Anything I can do to fix it? I did take out the battery and push the battery reset button but still nothing.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, don't use it on battery would be my recommendation. If you do, only use it for light web browsing. Consider it more of a UPS and not a laptop battery.

SMGJohn, hmscott and Uckaynotebook like this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Possible solution to waking up from sleep with static noise:

On AMD community website, someone posted that when they installed the Radeon Pro for Enterprise Driver, it solved all of their problems.
    The laptop wakes up from sleep mode without issues and Freesync also seems to work (though as I no longer have the unit in question, I cannot test/verify).

Megol and TheReciever like this.
  4. Tim4

Tim4 Alchemist

Reputations:
    It is true. Tried those drivers and it's basically new drivers with old AMD UI. No problems so far, however in my case I did freesync trick with CRU to get freesync being "supported". Other than that, everything is working fine. Performance is completely the same in all benchmarks I run compared to the newest gaming software from AMD.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Megol, Deks and win32asmguy like this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nice.
    The enterprise driver may be of more use for productivity software too - considering that gaming performance seems to be the same compared to regular drivers.

Oh btw, been meaning to ask if the Enterprise drivers include 'Radeon Chill' option?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  6. Tim4

Tim4 Alchemist

Reputations:
    Yes. They do.
    I was with team blue/green for a while. My first red mobile VGA was with Asus G73JH. I was hoping that something changed from that time and opted for a great option for 900$ here from Acer. But unfortunately things haven't changed much from that time. I am still like a beta tester trying to fix things that should work out of the box. So I was playing around with mine and came up with some tweaks for it. Will be posting those later today. Now machine is working the way it should.

Deks likes this.
  7. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    RX 5500M?

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

8. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, software wise this thing isn't great, but hardware wise it's stellar. I have had to finagle and tweak it quite a bit but it's running great for me now. Here's what I've done to get it working at top speed:

Download and install the latest predator sense from asus website - if you use it - as the version it ships with only works with an old version of Ryzen Master (that is only available from Asus website). I use it as it allows fan speed adjustment, but that's about all I do with it.

Install the latest version of Ryzen Master and find your max o/c - for me it's 4.0ghz all core at 1.325V. I can run 4.1 if I disable SMT, so if all you do is game you can try that and see if you get a higher o/c. For me I do other stuff so leave SMT enabled. If you really want to get the very maximum out of it, you can try per-core o/c and then use process lasso to push games to only the highest clocked cores. Not worth the single digit percentage for me, but might if you really want to push it. With fans at max you won't really be able overheat the cpu or gpu, but I generally leave them on auto so it doesn't sound like a jet and it keeps the cpu under 85C and GPU under 80C. With fans on max they only hit a little over 70C.

Set ram timings to 14,14,32,14,14,46,60ohm,12. You can try tighter but you might get stuck in a boot loop. I did this once at CL12 and had to remove a ram stick to get it to boot and reset the ram timings, resetting bios to defaults didn't work (I think because the timings aren't exposed there). Removing a single stick of ram is a pita as it's under the motherboard, so you'll be disassembling the whole thing to get to it. Luckily that worked for me as otherwise I'm unsure what else to do. Careful here, but the above shouldn't cause a boot loop, at worst some minor application instability. Stock timings are CL17 so it's a pretty big improvement, even if it's still stuck at 2400mhz.

Download and install the latest 20.2.2 drivers and reboot

Download and install msi afterburner. Check 'enable extended overclocking limits' in the settings and reboot again. This is all I use afterburner for, I o/c via the drivers.

install the registry file posted earlier in this thread to increase power limits and reboot again.

Go into the drivers and increase the power to +60%, then test overclocks. I have mine set to 1429/900. It generally hits 1375 in games. I'm mostly cpu limited at this point, so haven't bothered pushing it higher. It peaks around 160W power usage so there's still some headroom as it should run up to ~185W but I don't play anything that hits the gpu hard enough to need more.

If you run into performance issues, go back into the drivers and set the min p-state to 7. I have to do this in certain VR games that are very single thread cpu intensive as the gpu decides to downclock itself causing stutters. I don't know why it does this as the gpu load is still fairly high, but setting the above fixes it. Only issue is it changes idle power draw from ~15W to 35W so will drain the battery faster. I rarely use the battery so it's not a big deal, and if I do want to use it on battery it's easy enough to change it back to min p-state of 0.

With all of the above done, it performs about like a 2700X/vega56 desktop would, which is no slouch, especially at 1080p. Only issue at this point is no Freesync. I disabled sleep a while back and use hibernate so no idea if that issue is still there.

If anyone has ideas on how to enable freesync, that'd be great, but I don't notice any tearing so I'm not overly worried about it. I tried CRU but nothing I did got the drivers to let me switch it on.

Deks and Tim4 like this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You should be able to use CRU software to set the refresh rate of the display manually to 60hZ.
    That should bring Freesync back into operation.
    Also, you could try installing latest Enterprise Radeon Pro drivers - this should also re-enable sleep-mode on the Acer to function properly.

I'm still very disappointed in Acer for not releasing BIOS support for Zen 2 or faster RAM.
    Don't get me wrong, the laptop is still strong going forward, but this is a huge dropped ball on Acer's part (along with their termination of support).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  10. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Faster ram should be possible if the ram has a jedec profile, it just doesn't support xmp (which I agree it should). I'm more disappointed in the lack of zen2 support, I'd throw a 3950x in there if it had support.

So in CRU (and in display settings) it shows both 144hz and 60hz supported already, so do I just switch to the 60hz profile and then see if the option is enabled in the display drivers? Right now I have it set to 144hz instead of 60...