Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Clevo is releasing a laptop with Ryzen 9 3900. AM 4 Socket with B450 Motherboard. Although I love our Helios 500, we could have been the first laptop to sport zen 2. Too bad Acer never released that Bios support.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed.
    Clevo Eh?
    Nice...
    I wonder which GPU they will use, the type of cooling they plan on implementing and the price.

EDIT: ugh... Nvidia GPU. And 1060 ti to boot. Come on Clevo, make a version with 5700M and you're GOLDEN

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The worst part of the GPU is the fact its BGA, Clevo is being lazy the chassis is large enough for MXM no excuses here

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

SamuelL421 likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That too... but I want an all AMD system...
    Still, its possible that no 5600m or 5700m were placed into the laptop because technically they were just announced at CES (and might come out in the next month or so)

5. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 4800h release makes the helios 500 mostly obsolete. Those should outperform it and actually have usable batteries. A 4800h/5700m should handily outperform it, have 4 hour battery life and be about half the size. They showed a 3.6lb 4800h/2060m at CES, which I'm mighty tempted to sell both my helios and my dell 7375 (2700u) and get.

That said, I'd keep the helios if I could plop a zen2 in it, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    From what I understand there isn't a mobile in the cards yet. The rx version that was announced in the msi 14 inch machine seems to be a modified Vega.

Of course it's an engineering machine so things could change.

7. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    That new Clevo is using an Insyde bios just like the Acer. Maybe with some work from the bios modding community the AGESA for Zen 2 could be extracted and hacked into the Helios 500 bios.

Uckaynotebook likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    People said the same about Helios 500 bios and the only attempt at trying to just extract the BIOS resulted in a bricked unit (corrupted BIOS).
    No one else (to my knowledge) attempted to at least hack and open Helios 500 BIOS.... let alone tried to slipstream Zen 2 BIOS update.

Plus, trying to hack the clevo bios into the Helios 500 BIOS could be problematic.
    The GPU on the clevo is an NV one soldered to the mobo, so the BIOS likely doesn't have proper support (because the Helios 500 is Vega 56).

9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I seem to remember someone on some forum claiming they had an unlocked BIOS? The problem with the AGESA updates are that they aren't fully modular so the BIOS have to be build using the original source codes and programs (or at least that's my current understanding, corrections welcome).
    That is probably not a problem at all, the Vega have a dedicated BIOS ROM and wouldn't need to be touched(?) and if the Clevo uses an unified BIOS it's easy to extract the Nvidia parts. The problem starts with the embedded controller which is unlikely to use the same chip, connections, signals etc.

The most likely (but still extremely unlikely) way to get Zen 2 support would be making a deal with the Devi... Acer. If enough people were interested and ready to pay there's a slim chance they would do it, could be a PR thing.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But that's virtually no different than any other mobo OEM that provides BIOS updates.
    So, the laptop OEM should make sure to implement it anyway as its supposed to be their job to provide customers with proper software and hw support.

As for someone on the forum claiming they had an unlocked BIOS... I don't think so.
    There was one attempt at extracting the Helios 500 BIOS which ended up bricking it in the process, but I don't recall anyone mentioning they managed to hack unlock the bios.

I agree that GPU's have their own video BIOS-es which wouldn't need to be touched, but given the GPU's are soldered to the motherboard, doesn't that affect power delivery etc., some of which is controlled by the mobo BIOS?
    On the other hand, the 1060ti and V56 have seemingly same power requirements (both are limited to 120W I think)...

Also, people shouldn't have to pay for something Acer was supposed to do in the first place.

But again, I doubt we will see any independent people trying to provide a hacked BIOS for H500 with latest AGESA updates, even if those are ported from the Clevo.
    But who knows.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020