Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes but does it work? I can enable FreeSync per game on my non-FreeSync monitor does not mean it works in the game however.
    Find it odd how drivers would break FreeSync on a laptop, definitely would complain to AMD about it.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there a good way to test it?
    Would complain to Acer but they simply don't care.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2019
  3. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Try this one, it works for my FreeSync monitor.
    https://www.testufo.com/freesync

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  4. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sadly it's not possible with 19.12.3 or newer as they are a totally different driver generation to the Acer ones and so cannot upgrade existing drivers only replace.

It looks like 19.12.1 will be the last driver version to allow freesync support on the H500 :(

5. Megol

Reputations:
    @SMGJohn
    Thanks but I'm not sure it really tests Freesync? The text says it simulates Freesync using interpolation.

@ubersonic
    Unless we can get the lazy ***** at Acer to do their ******* job and release updated drivers supporting their hardware.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So, it seems that Acer seemingly abandoned support for H500 in any shape or form (I wonder what the state of affairs is for those who still use functional GL702ZC's from Asus).

It might be worthwhile sending Acer an email about this problem (again) and remind them that it IS their job to supply hw support for a gaming/productivity machine like this one (especially considering how much money they charge for the unit).

It might also be of value to contact AMD too via email and explain this issue (not just Freesync but also static noise).

I was seriously considering (re)buying this unit again, but with the increasing issues popping up such as Static Noise and non Functional Freesync with latest drivers, I don't think there would be much point.
    Right now, I think its best to sit tight and see about Zen 2 mobile or if an OEM recreates H500 with Zen 2 specs and similar/same cooling.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I would hold off till later this year considering the 4xxx series APU will come and RX5600M and RX5700M will also come which are way better than mobile Vega 56
    I hope Lenovo does a legion laptop with these, 8 cores Ryzen and 5700M

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Like I said, I will in all likelihood hold off until Zen 2 mobile is out (with all these teething issues popping up with H500 and latest drivers, I just don't think it would be worth the hassle - especially when new drivers are loaded with useful features).

I just hope that OEM's don't mess things up with it and they do create adequate cooling along with decent software support (to avoid static noise and Freesync issues)... and possibly better BIOS upgrades?

9. Megol

Reputations:
    Personally I don't see the need to update something that is more than capable if it weren't for bad driver support.

Edit: This trick enabled freesync for me: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/760143#Comment_760143
    A big Thank You goes to otori0rao on the Acer forum!
    How can it not be the responsibility of Acer to keep these things up to date, do they expect AMD to detect the specific computer model and splice this hack into the registry?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I could probably live with the lack of BIOS updates for Zen 2 if Acer decided to solve the problem of static noise appearing upon waking with latest drivers.
    The problem with BIOS updates is that some security issues are actually fixed with new microcode updates and overall stability/improvement of motherboard (which in turn requires reliable BIOS update utility which works, and of course reliable method to restore a previous functional version of the BIOS in case of accidental corruption). And to ensure proper stability, Acer would have to include all of the BIOS updates for the B450 chipset (including Zen 2 support) - its sort of irresponsible of them not to do this - especially when other OEM's do this for desktop mobos.

But that would mean that Acer would inevitably have to improve the BIOS interface, and along with it, BIOS upgrade capability and provide consumers with a relatively easy method of retrieving the older BIOS in case a corruption occurs (sort of like making a bootable BIOS USB key which would activate automatically and re-install/repair new bios or restore previous BIOS version if it detects a corrupt BIOS).

As you say, the laptop is more than capable performance-wise with 2700 and Vega 56 (especially with latest drivers and features).

Good thing that Freesync issue was solved... so, that's 1 out of 2 major problems solved.
    Now if we can find solution to the static noise problem... but again, this shouldn't be our responsibility in the first place.
    Its the job of the OEM (manufacturer) to provide fixes and updates if/as they arise. Many other units were receiving support for years (which includes BIOS and software updates). It seems very strange Acer decided to abandon H500 in the first place (and so early on) - especially if you take into account how much it costs (it almost seems like a slap in the face to spend so much money and then get stuck in limbo with 0 OEM support if issues like above arise).

EDIT:
    I still think I'll wait for Zen 2 mobile though.
    The H500 on sales right now likely doesn't have latest BIOS installed and comes with factory pre-installed BIOS.
    As such (and given my previous failure in updating the BIOS to latest version which resulted in me giving up on the unit and getting a refund), I wouldn't be comfortable trying to update the BIOS on a new unit again (and possibly suffering the same problem).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020