Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's a shame, but thank you for trying.
    I take it the latest drivers are still producing the same problem.
    Although, I cannot shake the notion that this is also Acer's problem.
    Would it be worthwhile sending them another email about it and see if they can release updates (either for BIOS or updated GPU drivers which don't cause the problem)?

EDIT: Somehow I think that if Acer does address this issue (which will only happen if users pester them about it), it will be through a BIOS update.

Though it would be nice if someone managed to make a fully updated BIOS for this machine which supports Zen 2 (but it seems that this is unlikely).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I also believe Acer have some problem with either the main BIOS or the video BIOS relating to the wakeup problem(s) and would like to see them fix that at least. Perhaps it's time to pester them :)

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You should definitely pester them about it.
    Tell them that sticking to original drivers is not viable for a gaming machine of this calibre because new drivers have a variety of features which tap into Vega 56 capabilities to play games properly (something which the stock drivers can't do).

Others who have this machine should pester Acer about this too.

I think they clamped down on the modded mobo BIOS by castrating it to no end (well, that and possibly messing the GPU bios in the process).

Not even the desktop mobos of B450 make had such heavy quad RAM issues. They limited it too much.
    I really don't understand Acer's reasoning in this.
    They created an expensive desktop replacement with destkop grade hardware and ridiculous cooling which even puts desktops to shame, and then castrated the BIOS to such an extent where you can't really do anything (even thought the chip which houses the BIOS is more than big enough to store a full fledged unlocked BIOS which supports Zen 2, faster RAM with a modern UI - heck, I could live with an outdated UI, but there's 0 point in locking the BIOS on this kind of machine, castrating it as they have and not provide latest BIOS updates with Zen 2 microcode and better RAM support).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the Intel variant of the Helios 500 suffer the same issues? If not then we all know who paid them to cripple the AMD version.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm not certain about the Intel variant having screen issues like AMD does.
    But I would surmise it has a similarly locked down BIOS like AMD version (how much of it was 'castrated' though, I have no idea).
    I don't know whether Acer would 'intentionally' cripple an all AMD laptop, or whether its just bad decision making to conform to some 'keep BIOS locked on laptops' policy along with 'don't release relevant BIOS updates after first 6 months'.
    Its still possible that Acer could correct the screen noise issue (or AMD might with one of their driver updates at some point down the line).

6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I never had this screen issue on my Vega 56 or Vega 10 so clearly an Acer problem indeed.
    Only Vega issues I have seen is the computer randomly waking up from hibernation or sleep and Vega 10 no longer outputting odd resolutions via HDMI after newer driver releases.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

7. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    (speculation warning) The problem could possibly be from using an eDP display and not a DP/HDMI one, while the signals are AFAIK the same perhaps there's some quirk needed at power on for eDP? If so the problem could be Acer not testing and reporting problems to AMD - and given Acers lagging update of drivers they may just don't care. :(

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Acer seemingly abandoned AMD Helios 500 completely (hence the lack of testing or reporting issues to AMD).
    Even so, with us reporting this problem to AMD, you'd think they'd be able to correct the issue by now.

Acer did release a 1.09 BIOS update recently, but realistically it was nothing of relevance (and this update corrupted my BIOS - if I hadn't installed that, then I'd still have the laptop).

9. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Just read about it before you posted that.
    :D
    Was going to post here...
    Could be AMD might address the static noise problem with this major driver update, but I won't hold my breadth.
    On the upside, increase in features alone is a great boost.
    Would be interesting if you guys can run some benchmarks between the previous and latest drivers to see if AMD made some performance enhancements to Vega (which apart from feature updates doesn't seem too likely as they seem focused on Navi now)