Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The PH500AMD keyboard screws into the top case. The motherboard does have to be removed to swap it. It is nice in the fact that it has a consistent zero-flex keyboard.

What really annoys me about Acer is that they don't provide the service manual to users. Dell / HP / Lenovo does this. They do exist because every now and then screenshots of excerpts get posted over at the Acer community forums...

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got my refund and extra components back btw.
    However, TemKnowHow apparently messed up with the components they returned.
    They were supposed to only give back my 16GB 2400 MhZ DDR4 stick and 500 GB Crucial SSD drive.
    Instead, they returned my 500 GB SSD, the 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD (both of these shipped with the laptop) with my files intact on it.

TeamKnowHow?
    Maybe they should be renamed to TeamDoesn'tKnowHow.

If these are the guys 'fixing' computers in UK and they make a simple mistake like that, then its no wonder that laptops which undergo repairs here end up back in repairs shortly after due to shoddy work.

Sigh.

Mind you, I can live without the RAM stick I suppose, but I explained to them (twice) which components I installed and wanted back... instead, they stripped down both SSD's and the HDD instead of 1 SSD and 1 RAM stick.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It would indeed be mental for OEM's to continue using Intel desktop CPU's, but we know Intel gives them substantial amounts of money even now.

The good news is, MSI changed their tune somewhat after initially saying they won't be using Zen 2 hw. They used Zen+ APU with Navi mobile GPU (which is progress - of sorts - their RRP price is atrociously high for a system like that, but I suppose its a start).

Given how much the market changed to AMD's favour in regards to CPU sales alone, its possible this could make OEM's reconsider their stance on AMD builds and create more of them (with quality cooling and RAM implementation).

In regards to their design practices though... ugh.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    AMD will never ever be able to feed the ODM’s with enough chips as it is. Even Intel struggle with that. Switch over on AMD would be a catastrophe for the ODMs

5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Nonsense.

I only need one good system. :p

Papusan likes this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No one said the OEM's need to forget about Intel and switch to AMD completely.
    Its just that given Zen's popularity, more advanced security, equal or better performance/efficiency and lower price, OEM's would be rather nuts to choose building new hw exclusively with Intel in mind.

As for AMD not being able to feed OEM's enough chips... well, its mainly the 16c parts that are experiencing shortages at the moment, most other parts seem to be in stock as is.
    Intel seems to be struggling much more with providing supply than AMD does.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    SMGJohn likes this.
  7. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, in fact the entire reason Lenovo used AMD in their ThinkPads T series was because Intel could not provide enough CPUs for them, and ThinkPads have been exclusive Intel laptops since 2000 apart from the E series but those are very different from rest.
    I also find it hard to believe Acer has had a hard time selling the AMD variant of the Predator series gaming laptops as they practically sold out in a week in Scandinavia and Europe following.
    Really sad with the low production numbers, AMD seems to have the unfortunate experience of because its cheap it finds its way into cheap laptops as a result.
    It was even like this back in the day when Athlon was king.

What was the last AMD heavy gaming laptop before Ryzen? MSI GX60, using an APU coupled with 7970M rather sad affair.
    Before that we only had a few Clevo with Athlon desktop CPUs.
    AMD might be at fault for lackluster array of mobile chips at that time.
    Today is different yet we only seen two heavy gaming laptops using AMD CPU.

Its very clear that either laptop companies are VERY lazy and does not want to design MOABs for AMD setup or they are paid by certain someone to maintain exclusivity.

Same is true for their GPUs, R9 M295 never saw good use other than in a Mac.
    R9 M395 as well, M390 saw use in an obscure Alienware model as an option.
    Rx 480M is quite good as a GPU in its day yet I can count on one hand how many laptops used it.

Intel has caused their own supply issues by forcing everyone to use their unsafe junk through their well documented Mafia practises.
    Hopefully this will start to change next year.
    Otherwise the laptop market might be a lost cause with their overheating CPUs and GPUs with badly designed cooling and overpriced market selection.
    Prepare for Intel to use their long reaching Mafia hands to hurt nVidia sales in the laptop segment with their new GPUs which probably are not all that great.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Despite weaker performance of bulldozer.
    Uarch... AMD did have rather capable Apus back then which were quite good for general workloads and even gaming.

Problem was intel kept bribing OEMs back then and AMD lack of resources to do incentivise OEMs use their hw... And if they did, the OEMs usually messed up the configuration in cooling, display quality, ram and priced it unrealistically high.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Guys, for the Static noise after the display switches itself off... been reading something online about a similar issue on desktop GPU's, and someone suggested removing MSI Afterburner completely off the system (uninstalling it and deleting the registries associated with it) along with using DDU utility to clean install the drivers (stock first obviously, followed by express upgrade to latest ones).

Apparently, something doesn't mesh well between Afterburner and Wattman according to the poster who recommended it, and I was wondering if someone could test out that theory on their Helios 500.

10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tested it and it didn't work.