Acer Predator Triton 700

Discussion in 'Acer' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q2KAA.001

Under the Tech specs it seems that it is indeed a 120hz G-Sync panel.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Triton 700. Dave Lee on youtube loves the device and his unit seems to not be running as hot as others have. Although the Triton seems like it would be easier to open up and repaste the CPU and GPU according a video Linus did. That and it would be easier to upgrade.

I spoke with an Acer rep today asking if opening the laptop and upgrading something like the RAM and SSD’s would void the warranty. I was told that it would’t so long as the laptop wasn’t damaged in the process. So that’s also encouraging. So long as there are no void if removed stickers like on the Zephyrus.

I’m half tempted to order a Triton 700 and be one of the first few to get one since there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info out there for potential buyers.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Triton now one month. It was custom build with 4 TB SSD space and 32 GB RAM. To say it short: In my opinion it is the best Notebook ever. And within the last 20 years I had many Laptops and Notebooks.

One great feature: You can customize the fans! For office and light gaming I set bot fans to 700 ... with this setting, all temperatures will stay below 60 degree (even in games like Age of Mythology) and you will not hear the fans at all!

If I set the fans to 2.500 games like GTA V or Sniper IV are playable with high settings and everything is below 70 degree ...

It is even possible to set both fans to 0 ... if you use it for surfing or MS Office, the temperatures are around 60 degree ... amazing!

The keyboard is simply great. Better than the keyboard of the Macbook. It is mechanical but it is not that loud as it is on Notebooks like the Predator 21 ...

The sound is good, better than the sound on the Predator 17.

I would buy it again without thinking!

hmscott likes this.
  3. Terreos

Reputations:
    Can you take a few pictures of the software controlling the fans? Do you have complete control of the fans? Like for example if I wanted to change the fans to a static 50% while playing games?

hmscott likes this.
  4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Right now I am typing from my iPad but I will do!

No, not „complete“ control, but almost: You have ten steps from zero of to full speed. The slowest is zero, then around 400, 700, 1.200 and so on. The fastest speed is around 5.400 ... so on „custom“ you can fix the fans speed to this positions. The speed will only go higher when the temperature goes over 100 degree celsius. But even then only to the next step.

Most of the time (for normal desktop, typing, office, Internet) I have both fans at 700 and it works great. OK, after 90 minutes of Civ VI the temperatures were for CPU on 78 degree and GPU at 84 ... but it is amazing that it works so quiet.

If you set the fans to „automatic“ (like Notebookcheck did it in their review) they are a little bit to fast in my opinion ... they will keep the temperatures around 40 to 45 degree ...

hmscott likes this.
  5. Terreos

Reputations:
    Looking forward to that.

Well that's alot more control than most other manufactures. This is one major part about the Trition that I like over the Zephyrus. Being able to control how quiet your system is ((especially on the desktop is nice.))

hmscott likes this.
  6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, as you can see here, you can set the fans to zero:

[​IMG]

And this is my normal "work" setting:

[​IMG]

After 30 minutes of Photoshop LR:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with this setting you cannot hear the Triton!

downloads, hmscott and Terreos like this.
  7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh, one small thing: As you can see on picture one and two, there is a "CoolBoost" switch. If you turn this on, the fans will spin up faster if the temperature is higher than 70 degree ... if this is "off" the fans will stay on you Setting until the temperatures are higher than 100 degree ...

hmscott likes this.
  8. Terreos

Reputations:
    That’s some nice software. It’s rare to see that in a laptop. Really nice to see it’s available on this laptop. More and more I’m liking the Acer Triton better than the Zephyrus.

How is the backlighting? Are all the functions illuminated? Not just the main numbers and letters? I’ve used laptops that don’t illuminate the secondary functions of a keyboard and it makes it hard to use in the dark.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    No, only the main numbers and letters!

10. Terreos

Reputations:
    That always blows my mind when they do stuff like that. If you use backlighting then backlight everything. Oh well that’s not a deal breaker.

I also meant to ask you about your storage setup. You mentioned having 4TB? Which M.2 SSD’s are you using? 512GB wouldn’t be enough for me and I would be upgrading it myself if I make the final decision to pull the trigger.