Acer Predator Triton 700

Discussion in 'Acer' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Performance shows that Triton 700 1080 Max-Q is only 1% faster than a stock 1070, that's really not a big improvement :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Analysis: Acer Triton 700 with Nvidia GTX 1080 "Max-Q" GPU?
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Analysis-Acer-Triton-700-with-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Max-Q-GPU.214802.0.html

As I said before, they'd have been better off with a nice 1070 OC, but it looks like even a stock 1070 with a nice slightly above average performance run would beat a 1080 Max-Q.

Darkhan and sicily428 like this.
  2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Anyone have one of these yet?
    Only thing I don’t like this over the Asus Zephyrus is the trackpad, but overall pretty nice.
    If you guys can get this or the Asus for the same price which would you guys pick?

5. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, but I’ll tell you what they’re both eye catching. The Zephyrus is the cleaner looking. But the color on the Triton is very appealing.

But overall I’d say the Triton. Asus seems to have higher than normal QC issues than most companies with poor customer support. Plus the flap that open up on the Zephyrus may not be very durable. Would be terrible to have that break.

6. rickybambi

rickybambi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been following this laptop and didn't know until now that there are (2) versions available.

There's one with a 1080 Max-Q and another with a 1060.

I found that the 1060 version is available on Newegg, link below.

- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...16215&cm_re=triton_700-_-34-316-215-_-Product

Based on the reviews I've read of the Triton 700, it appears the 1080 Max-Q version has poor thermal management.

What I'm wondering is how the 1060 version does with heat as the system does have (5) heat pipes and if perhaps the 1060 version is a better buy as it's cheaper than the 1080 Max Q and still (this isn't confirmed - if anyone knows, please chime in), has the 120HZ g-sync display.

hmscott likes this.
  7. corteen

corteen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I will be able to test this out early next week,I have one on order form Newegg and it should ship tomorrow.

IKAS V likes this.
  8. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The primary advantage of the Acer Predator Triton 700 (PT715-51-732Q) over the Asus Zephyrus (GX501VI-XS74) is its mechanical per-key RGB keyboard ...the Asus's keyboard is RGB, but not per-key. Also, it's not mechanical like the one on the Acer. I prefer the Acer's keyboard in every way. It also has a much nicer layout, too, as you get a full number pad.

The trackpad on the Triton 700 is OK, you have to reach over the keyboard. That can be tiring if you are doing it for a long time. The edges of the Acer's trackpad are hard to find, IMO, the markings are very faint. There are also no physical buttons, you must tap to click (two-finger tap to right-click). But I found it was fine overall. Again just the reaching over the keyboard is what was awkward.

Other things - the Zephyrus has only one memory slot + 8GB soldered for a maximum of 24GB. The Triton 700 has two accessible memory slots, max. 32GB. The Zephyrus is a bit smaller in physical size, but not by a significant margin. Note the 512GB SSD in the Triton 700 is a pair of 256GB drives striped in RAID 0.

The feature set is otherwise almost identical between the two notebooks. There is currently a $300 price difference in favor of the Zephyrus if you're looking at the GTX 1080 Max-Q models I mentioned in my first sentence. The Zephyrus has only half the memory (16GB) at its $2,699 price point, but otherwise measures up to the Triton 700 quite well. I think Acer is fishing with the price point of the Triton 700 (GTX 1080 Max-Q) to some degree, as I'm not sure if I'd spend that much extra for it basically for the nicer keyboard. But when you're already spending close to $3k, what's another few hundred? Might as well get the best.

Charles

IKAS V and downloads like this.
  9. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you look at the review at notebookcheck the zephyrus wins the most important discipline: better cooling at lower noise levels. Especially the noise characteristics of the triton metal fans seems problematic (high pitched whine).

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I didn't experience what I would call a high-pitched whine with the Triton 700. The noise signature wasn't all that different from the Zephyrus.

According to my testing, the Acer's CPU and GPU both ran cooler than they did in the Asus. Keep in mind there is some variance in units, paste job might be better in some than others, etc.

If you're willing to spend what is required to get a notebook like this, I don't think you're going to be significantly happier (or disappointed) with one over the other. They are very competitive.

Charles

bsch3r and hmscott like this.