Acer Predator Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Alex771, Aug 14, 2018.

1. vIkInG_w0w

vIkInG_w0w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could you do a test on Battlefield? I'm curious about the temps since the game utilizes CPU resources nicely and is graphics heavy as well. (30min atleast or 1hr ideally of multiplayer maybe)

During BFV Open Beta my CPU reached 90C+ easily with liquid metal applied. But then again it is a pretty thin chassis for a 8750H

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can you please tell me what kind of paste you used? I have used TG Kryonaut but it did not make any noticable difference compared to the factory paste.

3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also I need assistance from people who know Insyde BIOS inside-out (get it? :D ).
    I have an unlocked BIOS so all settings all available.
    I want to rely on the Predator Sense as little as possible for 2 reasons:
    1) when enabling CPU power Limit MAX in the software it changes PL1 45W / PL2 56.250W to PL1 56W / PL2 70W
    2) When enabling MAX Pwr limit Predator Sense automatically applies -125mV undervolt

Now I want to add more undervolt and set PL1 70W / PL2 70W.

How can I do this? I am not really familiar with Insyde BIOS. What do I need to set?

The menu I think is responsible for this is under advanced -> Power & Performance

[​IMG]

Inside this I need CPU Power Management Control

[​IMG]

After this I went inside Config TDP Configuration

[​IMG]

Inside here I have got this:
    [​IMG]

However here I am stuck. I have set Power Limit 1 and Power Limit 2 to 70W in the blue area (which can be edited) and then rebooted, however these settings did not get enabled because after reboot the factory TDP limits (45.0/56.250 in the black area) did not change to 70/70. What did I do wrong? What do I need to set?

@Prema maybe any idea?

Thank you for your help !

ps: A fair warning to anyone with unlocked BIOS. I have removed the factory installed cheap 2666 Mhz CL 19 RAM modules and installed better quality 2666 Mhz modules with cash latency 15. I have set these modules in the BIOS to run at 2800 Mhz @ cl14 however I have tried to run them at 3000 Mhz (You know, for science :) ), but the laptop refused to boot. I have tried to sort the 2 pins responsible for CMOS reset, however the EC got so damaged from the above used RAM setting that even after CMOS reset the BIOS was not able to rewrite the default EC. Only solution was to reflash the entire BIOS with an SPI programmer. So be careful when you edit memory settings, it may brick your laptop which can only be fixed with an SPI programmer !

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  4. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I feel such an idiot...the reason why it was not working was because I have written "70" but since it asks for milliwatts, I need to write "70000" and "70" meant 0.07W TDP, and thus it ignored it since it is too small :/

5. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @DRevan: How are your temps on the 500? Have you repasted it yet? Does it need to be repasted or can you tame the temps with Undervolting? Also can you provide more info about the Insyde Bios. Never heard of it before. Thanks.

6. Spikey699

Spikey699 Newbie

Reputations:
    Temps are great, my girlfriends only hits 60ish once gaming for several hours, automatically has special Acer keyboard buttons to ramp up fan speed also.

7. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wow, those are great temps? Did you do any undervolting or is this stock? Thanks.

8. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If Predator Sense is installed, that automatically applies -125 mV undervolt when CPU receives high load.
    Even when you leave the CPU TDP on "Normal" setting,

9. sigmaphi

sigmaphi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, All

Just got this bad boy today

[​IMG]

Loving it so far

I wanted the AMD version but they were out of stock so I got this instead and way cheaper as well :)

10. kleptomaniak668

kleptomaniak668 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm buying one of these very soon(the I7) version. Are there any nagging or unresolved issue with this laptop? I got burned with the Asus Scar II(GL504GS) so I'm apprehensive.