Acer Predator Helios 500 (Ryzen+Vega) $1299

Discussion in 'Notebook and Tech Bargains' started by Ifrin, Jul 23, 2019.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe you can consider a mobile workstation if its in your budget? The Precision / Thinkpad / Zbook lines are pretty durable and can have accidental damage added on to their support plans. My friend carted his Precision between multiple oil rig sites each day for 3 years and it held up just fine.

I own the Helios and its a full plastic build - certainly fine if you are using at home or an office as a stationary DTR but if you are moving it around a lot it will definitely wear out faster than others. Certain things like the power jack are soldered to the mainboard, so if it breaks it means shipping the machine in to their service center and about a three week turn around time.

Oh and feel free to post your own thread to the WNSIB forum for more suggestions. Everyone's situation is a little different and its easier to offer help with the full picture.

hmscott likes this.
  2. John239

John239 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot I truly appreciate the response. I guess for now I'm going to look into getting a sturdy or laptop suggested by an individual above and perhaps one for gaming

hmscott likes this.
  3. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    +1 for a mobile workstation type machine.

I have an eight year old Precision that's traveled to Europe and a bunch of other places, and to work and home with me daily. I ended up choosing this over the comparable Lenovo at the time because it had two cooling fans as opposed to just one.

4. John239

John239 Newbie

Reputations:
    I appreciate the feedback are you able to provide a link to one that you recommend

5. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    It's going to come down to your priorities. It's always a tradeoff in terms of price/size/weight/serviceability/etc.

I would say start by taking a look at the Dell Precision line, or the ThinkPad W series.

John239 likes this.