Acer Predator Helios 300

Discussion in 'Acer' started by sicily428, Apr 27, 2017.

1. LOUSYGREATWALLGM

LOUSYGREATWALLGM Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm trying to find any Helios 300 owner's lounge but to no avail... is there any in this forum?

Would like to see owners experiences with this machine as I'm looking to get one

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This appears to be it, I'll ask the mod / OP for this forum / thread to change the title to be "official". @sicily428 :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    LOUSYGREATWALLGM likes this.
  3. butterworths

butterworths Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to find an 8th gen CPU version of this laptop available for purchase yet? I've scoured the internet and can't find one for sale anywhere...

hmscott likes this.
  4. LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Reputations:
    I’m having the same question as you :)

I pre-ordered one anyway (same item you linked on the other thread). Hope it wont take ages for them to ship it

butterworths and hmscott like this.
  5. butterworths

butterworths Newbie

Reputations:
    Congrats! I'm kinda jealous, I wish I had the luxury of waiting for the restock. Only got a short (1-2 week window) to order though myself, grrr.

6. AnimalMother

AnimalMother Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got it on amazon 1199.99 hope it got a solid unit!

7. minh6a

minh6a Newbie

Reputations:
    Got my Helios 300 for a day now.

So my first impression: light for a budget gaming laptop. Lighter than my Inspiron 7577 and way heavier than my XPS 9550 (but duh?). HOWEVER: It is absolutely comfortable walking outside with this laptop in my backpack.

USB-C Works with Dell Dock WD15, so far so good.

Laptop runs HOT (only on Auto), absolutely bananas. My MX4 is coming tomorrow so gonna repaste it to see if there are any improvements. Predator Sense auto fancurve is useless AF. CoolBoost can only help a bit but not much. I recommend if you play games try it with auto first, then if it runs hot even with coolboost then just turn on Max fan speed for it.

Keyboard is mushy but usable. Touchpad is Precision Driver so nothing to talk about.

Need to UPDATE BIOS to improve the included intel SSD performance

144Hz Screen is literally a BOMB.

8. LOUSYGREATWALLGM

Reputations:
    Congrats! Please don't forget to share your before and after temps :)

9. Mclone

Mclone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, greetings to all. Its my 1st post:
    Last year I bought a dell inspiron 15 7567 with 7700hq and 1050ti and I installed Handbrake Nightly Build on it. To my delight, activating the GPU with h265 NVEnc made h265 encoding 5 times faster than with the CPU, eg, I can encode a 14 GB Lawrence of Arabia movie video into a 1.5GB h265 file in 65 mins. Expecting even better this year, I bought a day and half ago a Predator Helios 300 with 8750h and 1060 hoping it will be even faster; but to my great disappointment, the acer laptop can't activate the Nightly Build h265 NVEnc and ended with an error message. I suspected it's a driver problem; so I downloaded a driver from the Nvidea site but the driver refused to be installed it saying it can't find compatible hardware. I just wonder if the dell driver for dell G3/5/7 laptop would work.
    ….
    Otherwise, the Predator Helios is a good machine

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A new year, and a new model Acer Helios 300 :)

I was shocked to see that Acer is shipping the laptop with the CPU undervolted out of the box @ -0.125mv!

That is so cool, finally we are getting some traction with the manufacturers to take responsibility for tuning these laptops - actually testing the laptop to the point they verify it is working and stable and tuned for best thermal performance before it leaves the manufacturing facility. Amazing.
    Acer Helio 300 undervolted out of the box.jpg

I'd like to think that NBR has played a large role in this by everyone here helping everyone looking for help with their laptop tuning and thermal problems. Helping each other to get the best out of our laptops, and complaining to the vendors to start taking responsibility for getting the best performance out of the box.

In large part this need came out publicly through the laptop reviewers as well, to make it known far and wide that anyone with a laptop / desktop can tune their CPU / GPU for better thermal results - stop thermal throttling and get better gaming / application performance as a nice side benefit.

It really didn't take too long from the time the youtube reviewers started making undervolting and overclocking a part of their laptop reviews for the vendors to realize they could benefit from providing this out of the box for customers that weren't comfortable doing it from scratch.

Now new owners have the tools to tune their for CPU / GPU undervolt / overclock for their laptops right out of the box, now with the vendor tuning the laptop before it leaves the factory.
    Acer Helio 300 undervolted and overclocked out of the box.jpg

Here's one of those undervolting reviewers reviewing Acer's new Helios 300 with an Acer undervolt of -125mv out of the box. :)

Acer Helios 300 (2019) Thermal Testing, Overclocking and Undervolting
    Jarrod'sTech
    Published on Jun 17, 2019
    The Acer Predator Helios 300 performs very well in games as a result of coming undervolted out of the box, so just how hot does it get, and is there any throttling? In this testing we’ll take a detailed look at performance, see if there are any thermal or power limits, and find out what can be done to improve gaming performance and temperatures.

I’ll investigate undervolting, overclocking, and show you how hot the laptop gets while gaming and under combined CPU and GPU stress test with different settings, let you listen to total system fan noise, test with a cooling pad and see hot spots with a thermal camera.
    *** Check Prices ***
    i7-9750H + GTX 1660 Ti: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-9750H-Keyboard-PH315-52-78VL/dp/B07QXLFLXT

I’m still working on the full review of the new Acer Predator Helios 300 gaming laptop, subscribe so you don’t miss it!

You can find out more about the cooling pad I used in the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx2En...

The exact model tested in this video is PH315-52-718Q

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    balkeet and rickybambi like this.