Acer Predator G9 15/17 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Faizan Siddiqui, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marpat

Marpat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, yes, the temp is quite high, but if you are wondering if 17 inch version has lower temps, you might stay cool, because after checking some comparisions between 15 and its bigger brother, the difference is about 4 degrees. The good thing about this laptop is, that with external gpu in the near future, laptops cooling will only have to take care of the processor. With dedicated gpu inactive, plus frost core, plus good cooling pad and good thermal paste we should have temps around 70 degrees (C) max on the processor.

One question to you guys.
    Keyboard backlight shuts down by it self ?
    If you are not typing anything, does it dim by it self after about one minute?

2. dook-c63

dook-c63 Newbie

Reputations:
    I actually don't use the keyboard, I run the laptop in clamshell mode with an external mouse/kb and monitor.

Sorry bud.

3. Marpat

Marpat Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you open the lid and check ?

4. Faizan Siddiqui

Faizan Siddiqui Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't be 100% sure, but to my memory, the laptop lights do dim after a while (about a minute). I am running Linux on it because of my courses, so everything is always on (including all the fans at max speed, because I haven't configured the fan settings on Linux), but when I do boot into Windows 10 and use it, the laptop is really really quite, almost can't tell that it is on, and ofcourse the fans turn on and adjust it's speed whenever there is high usage. The keyboard is configurable using the PredatorZone or whatever, and I do notice that the keyboard dims after a while, though I can have it so it is always on.

I'll definitely reconfirm after I boot into Windows.

Marpat likes this.
  5. Marpat

Marpat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Faizan,
    Thank you for your response, it's just I didn't know it works this way and I thought that keyboard lights should be always on. But if they do dim it's also ok. It's a great machine, isn't it? :)

6. n3cro

n3cro Newbie

Reputations:
    Some question for you owners... I've found a good deal on the 15" version with a 6700HQ, 970M, 16 GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD only. Here are my questions:

1. I wonder if I can install a secondary drive (a 2.5" SSD that I already have) alongside the 1 TB drive by just opening the service cover.

2. I don't like the red/blue keyboard backlight. As I will be using the machine for photo editing I want as little color distractions as possible. I therefor wonder if I can control (or just turn off) the blue/red keyboard backlighting by a hardware button or if I have to install software to turn it off. I figure if I want to keep this machine for 5 years (as I've done with my current laptop) and I don't want to depend on software developed, and later abandoned, by Acer for such an important feature. Also, it's important if I want turn it off while using running Linux (which I boot from time to time).

I also want to know if it's possible to turn of the red light backlight, preferably also without installed software, in the programmable keys or if I will end up covering them with electrical tape.

Thanks in advance!

7. Faizan Siddiqui

Faizan Siddiqui Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi n3cro, thank you for coming to this thread!

Unfortunately there is only one 2.5" SATA 3 slot, which is used for the hardrive, but there are two extra M.2 slots, which allows you to put two extra SSDs, all accessible from the back cover.

I think I might have forgotten to mention to Marpat above, but the lights actually do stay on, and there is actually a function key Fn+F9 which turns the keyboards light off! I didn't know this until recently, when i saw the symbol on the F9 key for keyboard lights. When you press it, the keyboard lights go completely off, and only turn back on when you press it again. I dualboot Windows and Linux, and it works on both operating systems!

8. n3cro

n3cro Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! Light control sounds excellent. I ordered a Sandisk Z400s with the machine. I realize it's not the fastest one around, but I hope it will suffice.

9. Syngensmyth

Syngensmyth In All Seriousness

Reputations:
    Did you add these gskills? I have the g9 791 with Hynix ram and wonder about compatibility

10. AngryPeanut

AngryPeanut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My order of the laptop ended up getting delayed, then back ordered. I ended up cancelling it and went with a different laptop. I am using that ram though with no issues, but not on the predator.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Syngensmyth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.