Acer Nitro or Lenovo Legion 5: with Ryzen 4x

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by laptopforyears, Sep 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. laptopforyears

laptopforyears Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to buy a new laptop. I want to work on it and use it for the next few years.
    Aspects in which I will need it
    - databases and programming
    -calculations - occasional gaming
    - internet browsing, home use, youtube, netflix
    - some photo processing, maybe the basics of movies
    It's important to
    - it wasn't loud
    -not warm

I am thinking about two such models
    1. ACER Nitro 5 R7 32GB 512 + 500PCIe GTX1650Ti laptop
    2. Lenovo LEGION 5 Ryzen 7 4800H 32GB 1000SSD GTX1650

What do you think? Could you help?

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even for light gaming, the GTX 1650 is a weak GPU that won't have very much longevity. You will want to look at a notebook with at least a GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060.

3. laptopforyears

laptopforyears Newbie

Reputations:
    is 1650 or 1650ti that bad to play? I plan to play recalculatively, for sure a large part will be older games from the last few years

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It depends on what you want to spend and where you are located. If you fill out our FAQ we can help more.

Charles

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    From quick google search, Acer Nitro 5 has 3750H CPU along with 4000H series AMD CPUs. Pretty confusing though..
    Going from what you have posted, I think Legion 5 with GTX 1650 seems better choice since Legion 5 re-uses similar heatsink for higher siblings for RTX 2060 and Renoir CPUs.
    If you plan to use Linux, I'd recommend not using nvidia dGPU at all and set to Nvidia Optimized setting that uses iGPU 90% of the time with dGPU powered up during graphics intensive apps/programs.
    Nvidia dGPU sips so much on Linux that Win 10 makes more sense in terms of thermals.
    Ryzen 4800H and 32GB 3200MHz will be perfect for MySQL/Postgresql/MariaDB along with web development and ML/AI.

6. laptopforyears

laptopforyears Newbie

Reputations:
    The question is how to orientate to the Lenovo Legion 5i-17 i7-10750H / 32GB / 960 GTX1660Ti

as at https://www.x-kom.pl/p/588816-noteb...egion-5i-17-i7-10750h-32gb-960-gtx1660ti.html

Can I find such achievements for databases, calculations here?

The model is bigger, it should run quieter and have lower temperatures, right?

What do you think about the lenovo model with intel?

7. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I owned, and used quite regularly, a Legion Y530 for about a year. To me, that laptop felt similar to a ThinkPad, but without the branding. That being said, it was able to handle everything I threw at it and didn't seem to run too hot or make too much noise. My only complaint about it was the output from the 3.5mm headphone jack (it just didn't seem loud enough). Now I don't know how the current Legion laptops are, but I'd hope they are at least as good as the Y530 I used to have.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It won't be slow but expect it to run a little hot when running single threaded tasks since it can boost over 4.8GHz+. So you may need to undervolt slightly to keep the boost clocks steady for longer.

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In terms of competitive candidate, NITRO 5 direct competitor should be IdeaPad Gaming 3 and HP's Pavillion Gaming, where both are equal or close on price, cooling design and close moderate battery capacity.

Legion 5 direct competitor should be Predator Helios, the mid end gear of Acer gaming range, where both are equal on price, cooling design and close moderate battery capacity.