Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DimaDNS

DimaDNS Newbie

Reputations:
    Добрый день. Я владелец Acer Aspire 7720G-702G50Hm. Какую из оптимальных видеокарт по соотношению цена / скорость Вы мне можете посоветовать? Заранее благодарю.
    (Вопрос адресован гуру с сайта mxm-upgrade)

2. impish

impish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    maybe in english? :D

3. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'm surprised how well google translate works:
    From the first page of this thread, it looks like a 9600m GT would work, the GDDR3 version is pretty good (lots of them on ebay, so the price is good). But the question isn't addressed to me, so ignore my post:)

4. XL2007

XL2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't see any info for the Acer Aspire 5680 w/ the GeForce 7600. I just want to verify if it is or isn't a MXM type card.

5. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok so I finally got my copper today and after installing my ati hd4670, my laptop still shuts down after a few minutes of playing. I checked my temps while gaming and they were around 68 celcius during the first minutes (where my nvidia is immediatly 76-78 celcius). When doing normal stuff (i.e. browsing) my temps are around 52 celcius, compared to 57 celcius with my 8600m gt.

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Ice-Tea recommended I put my temps in a file but since I have a free version of System Information for Windows I can't do this. Do you guys know a program that does not require payment to put your monitored temps in a file?

edit: I just tried again, but not with full hd resolutions and everything works perfect. during cod4 I couldn't reach more than 60 celcius (I remember my nvidia could heat up to 94 celcius with cod4). Then I tried Empie total war, and didn't go above 77 celcius, also without shutting down.
    So, my theory is that there's some sort of driver problem which can't display full hd resolutions, but seems to handle everything else just fine. The Copper mod worked perfectly and i'm running my laptop cooler than ever.

I guess I ordered my AS5 for nothing, since I did the current mod with thermal paste from mxm-upgrade.com and it does the job very nicely.

6. FragZero

FragZero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Gpu-z

check

"Log to file"
    "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background"

choose a location and it will log untill you close the program.

7. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With the help from Ice-Tea we clocked my ati hd 4670 from 400mhz to 675mhz (and voltage from 0.95 to 1.2). After that all I got was a black screen.

To fix this, you need to remove the mobility modder driver which was recommended by mxm-upgrade.com and just download the latest drivers (I had to format my laptop in order to do this) from ati. It seems the mobility modder can't handle the normal ati clocks.

However, because I clocked my ati hd4670 to its normal frequency, it overheats :p I guess the base clock of 400 mhz was there for a reason.

So, does anybody know an easy program for me to downlock my gpu again? Ice-Tea overclocked mine via remote control (using RBE), so I have no idea how to reverse it.

@Fragzero, Gpu-z does not work for me, because when my laptop gets stuck during gaming due to high temps, my file with temps remains un-updated after I had to manually shut off my laptop.

8. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try editing clock and voltage settings by editing bios and flash an edited version of bios to your card...

9. FragZero

FragZero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well if your laptop hardlocks (everything crashes) there is no way to measure temps except attaching an external sensor.

What is the last temperature you measure?

10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You might need to look into undervolting.

My experience with my own chip (HD4650) was (max clock at each voltage):

1.0V: 600mhz
    1.1V: 675mhz
    1.2V: 750mhz

Under a tight thermal budget 600mhz at 1.0v runs very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.