Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, I'm going to try to find myself some copper then and do a mod, see how that works out.

Does anybody know a site that sells cut copper AND uses regular bank transferring? Every site I found so far uses paypal (which requires 4 security digits on your bankcart, which I don't have on my maestrocard) so ordering from them isn't an option. (Had the same problem with mxm-upgrade.com, untill Ice tea contacted me and said I could just transfer the money instead of using paypal, great service imo).

2. impish

impish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Purchasing from that site also requires 4 security digits. I mailed a few times with a salesmen and the only alternative way of paying was paypal (didn't get a reply after I said that regular bank transfer was the only way).

Anyway I went to the bank and they will give me a new card so hopefully i'll be able to purchase whatever I want within a week. I'll post some benchmarks here as soon as i've installed my new metal mod. (I have an option of a piece of brass for 30€, which I'm considering because I will have it a week earlier compared to waiting for my new bank card and ordering from metalcutoffs).

According to this site brass is way worse than aluminium & copper for thermal conducting, do you think the difference will be that big in real life applications?

Cooling Fundamentals: Thermal Conductivity - FrostyTech.com

I already ordered some AS5 from pixmania (I also have some free thermal paste from mxm-upgrade) just to be sure I have the best stuff in there (amazon doesnt ship to belgium, which is why better products like arctic mx-3 won't reach the belgian market for a few more years :p), so all I have to do now is wait. Quite horrible to have an awesome hd 4670 in your laptop, while not being able to use it :p

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Still waiting on my heatsink and GPU lol.

Ice-tea, i'm surprised you don't hold a couple of MXM-A HD4670 1GB GDDR3 cards.

5. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I can't stock every card in existance. My suppliers accept the orders I send out now, but only grudgingly. If I need to stock 2 Type A cards volume/card inevitably goes down and they will start refusing orders in the end.

6. Ice-Tea

Ice-Tea MXM Guru NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Set your temp tool to monitor temps and log it in a file. If you crash out you should be able to recover the last temp. Or game for 30 sec and alt-tab out.

A heatpad is a lot better than a badly placed copper shim. I would *strongly* suggest to check if the pad effectively makes contact with the heatsink (that it is, per example, not shifted or some components keep the sink from being in touch with the pad)...

And if the machine shuts down after a minut, this is not something a copper plate will solve. Obviously copper is way better than a pad, but not *that* much better.

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Well I am hoping at least one of the new nvidia chips paired with GDDR5 makes it to MXM-A.

8. impish

Reputations:
    Hello i am back with a problem :S. My acer 5920g got a 9650m gt and everything fine. Under pressure the high temperature is 85 degrees but i think i have driver problems. Almost everyday when i turn on my laptop the first 4 start is always freeze after login into windows 7 64 bit or after it i got a black screen and nothing. anyone have any solution for this problem?? or anyone who has acer laptop with 9650m gt upgrade have the same problem??? thx for the answer!

9. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did not have any problems of that kind...
    I got freezes or blue screen of death only when I was using RMclock for undervolting CPU...

10. impish

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.