Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impish

impish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i think the copper pad is a good thing if you have overheating or no. i advise you to use it because easy to install it and i didnot believe it has a big effect but i coudnot believe my eyes when i saw the temperatures. In games and under pressure it was 100-110 degrees and after i install copper pad it is 85 now and it is the top!

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Szeryf, overheating is always a concern. Notebooks are designed for a certain amount of heat dissipation; if you stick a more demanding MXM card in your machine, it might be overwhelmed.

That being said, there are crafty ways of keeping heat levels down - copper shims that conduct heat better, improved thermal paste, lapping the heatsink, etc. - and most of the upgrades here have been successful despite temperature upgrades.

Don't bother comparing the GPU architecture and clock speed to what you currently have; it'll be different most of the time anyway.

3. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Copper shims/pad put on the core, by my opinion is only important when your original/stock cooling pad that came with laptop is not fitting well on the core...
    As a proof I can say that when I did some modding on my stock cooling pad form gpu core so the copper part of it would well lay on the gpu core, I got reasonable and acceptable temp with no overheating even when playing Crysis and without using a active cooling pad beneath laptop...

And I have one question:
    The aluminum foil around gpu card, is it safe to remove and would that decrease heating?

4. edek2007

edek2007 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I can confirm Aspire 5720ZG is compatible with Mobility Radeon 2600 512MB (i didnt have XT version). [​IMG]
    Originally was plugged 8400m GS (which died month ago).

5. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No clue - my card doesn't have any foil.
    @edek: Thanks for the confirmation! I'll update the main post.

6. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will make some photos to show that foil...
    For me it was strange because as far as I know aluminum foil is meant to keep heat not to spread it around...
    So I will probably remove it...

7. impish

impish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    on my videocard is this foil too! but i think useless to remove it! but do it for your responsibility!

8. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I took my laptop apart, I took the aluminiumfoil off the gpu. Had no decrease in temps nor higher temps. So it seems useless to me.

9. Partizan

Partizan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have a really weird problem. Today I installed my 4670 in my acer aspire 5920g, replacing the 8600m gt.
    This morning everything worked perfect, I was playing games at higher resolutions then ever before flawlessly.

Now, when I play AC2, or AC1, after 1 or 2 minutes, the game freezes and my laptop shuts down.
    I do not have a copper pad but use a normal thermal pad. However, I still don't think its because of overheating, because..you can't heat up a gpu from 50 to 100+ celcius in just a minute or two..right? My 8600m gt ran at 94 celcius without any shutdowns. Unless the ati is programmed to shutdown at a way lower temp?
    I never got the chance to check my temps on siw this evening (only this morning and they were around 60-70).

When windows gives me an explenation after the boot up, I get a reference of 3 links which look like this: C/blabla/temp.

So..whats up with that? Why can't I play games anymore?

edit: after the crash It seemed my I had to re-type my log in and pasword here at nbr, it seems my pc just forgot it.
    Also, I just played AC2 for 1 minute and the gpu went up from 50 to 70 celcius. I'm about to try to play for a bit longer to see if the prob might be the temp afterall.

10. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    chips can heat up in a matter of seconds not minutes, please check temps and be careful

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.