Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyafiqKidz

SyafiqKidz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello do anyone know what my acer aspire 4741g type mxm card. my laptop spec like this intel i5-450m, nvidia geforce 310m, 500 gb hdd.:confused:

2. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello SyafiqKidz, and welcome to the forums!
    Unfortunately, your notebook does not likely have an MXM card in it, just like most of the modern Acers.
    If it's not in the list on the first page, it's probably not MXM.

3. kwik76

kwik76 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's been a long time i search for an 4670m DDR3 but it's impossible to find it.
    Or i must buy a complete MSI notebook :D :( .

Someone has a contact to buy it?

thanks

4. EchoShade

EchoShade Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought an MSI EX625 for the card but good luck even finding those now. They discontinued it about a year and a half ago. I believe they switched it to the DDR2 models. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. kwik76

kwik76 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very expensive for just a card! :eek:
    Right we can just find now DDR2 model.
    I hesitate to buy one but I don't know if they are as bad as everybody say.

6. szeryf

szeryf Newbie

Reputations:
    hello
    im sorry if im asking obvious, but i have no idea about mxm cards

so...
    if i have a laptop with mxm-II slot (acer 5630g) can i change gpu (ati hd3470) with ANY gpu that is mxm-II? if not, what difficulties are there? what should i know about when i want to buy better card?
    id like to get nvidia 9600gt for example, is it possible?
    thanks

7. impish

impish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok my 5920g got the 9650m gt. it had a bit heat problem! but i solved it. it get a good thermal paste and a copper pad on the core and now the top temperature is 90 but is the top of it and only in extreme situation! thx the help who send the bios to downvoltage it and thx for everybody who help me!

4800 in 3DMark2006!

8. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hello szeryf, and welcome to the forums!
    In theory, yes; if you have an MXM-II slot, you can use any MXM-II card (or MXM-I card, but I don't know why you would) in it.
    In practice, it's tricky. There are known compatibility issues that prevent systems from working with certain cards - the 5920G and the GeForce 9600M GT is the best known example. Plus, no upgrade is supported by the manufacturer - thus, we have no definitive idea of what works.

The best practice is to stick to what Acer has already put into your model in different configurations - for example, my 6920G has been sold with the 9500M GS or the Radeon HD 3650, so it'd be a safe bet for me to switch over to that if my 9500M GS finally croaks.
    The next best option is to see what other people have done and follow in their footsteps - at least there's someone who can help you diagnose any problems.
    Finally, you can always go it alone and try something out yourself, blaze your own path. MXM-Upgrade can offer a money-back guarantee on its cards, such as the Radeon HD 4670.

9. Arminator

Arminator Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great job! :)

That is a quite reasonable temp! ;)

10. szeryf

szeryf Newbie

Reputations:
    thank you for your answer TehSuigi
    well, from what i've found 5630g can have hd3650, but id really like to try 9600m gt or best ati mxm-II (they say its a fair chance to try out hd4650 at mxm-upgrade.com), anyway i will have to search for some more information and then will try to decide
    so... anyway, if i do upgrade, do i need to worry about overheating? maybe i should carefully check what architecture is gpu, its clockspeed, etc and compare to what i have currently installed? or solutions like impish's above with some sort of cooling pad should be sufficient in most cases? (yeah, i guess you cant tell for sure, but how does it work in cases you know about?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.