Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    That extra pin is likely extra voltage pins.

2. spaanplaat

spaanplaat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Please forgive me for my ignorance. :rolleyes:

So it should be a 2.1 type MXM-HE just to keep it simple :eek: .

Why all the different types. PCI-E is pretty standard why not do the same with MXM. It is just a silly world. ;)

Allright then. I will try to sell it in the marketplace. Thank you again for explaining it to me again. Edit: After reading the rules for selling it seems I am not a 'full member'. I must be a member for at least one month and have more than 20 posts, but they should contribute the community. How do I know if I did this??

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    That is what I'm thinking too.

It seems to be MXM-HE :)

Because of the different sizes of the notebooks :) You can't put a MXM-IV monster in a 13" notebook, it would burn almost instantly. At least on air cooling, if you have liquid nitrogen, you'll delay the burning with couple of seconds :D :p

Just make another post, as most of the members do :)

4. spaanplaat

Reputations:
    That makes sense. But things are getting very complicated for me this way :D

Uhm... so now it should work ;) but 20 posts allmost looks like he joined to sell his stuff.. which off course I am not. I allready learned alot of things here.

5. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks triturbo, I almost forgot about MXM-HE!
    And spaanplaat, the reason it's so confusing is probably because MXM cards weren't designed for the end-user to replace. It's more or less a benefit to the OEM.

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Sadly you are right, it's not intended for end user to mess-up under the hood of his lappy. Thanks God we can take advantage of it after all, even with all of the complications it's still better than if you have for example DELL or Apple, the only way to upgrade their GPU is changing your laptop :D

7. spaanplaat

Reputations:
    Yes I understand we aren't suppose to upgrade the lappies but that doesn't mean they can't make a standard in the connector. Even if it is a 13 inch lappie or a 18 inch it could have the same connector. Sadly it is not. The world is full of competing standards which in my opinion is very annoying. Take DVD-R or DVD+R.

Let's just hope the 4850 will be there in a MXM-III formfactor for us :cool:

8. totally_newbie

totally_newbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Hello to all and thank you to TehSuigi for this thread which was very useful to me ..

I'll try to be short :
    - My mother has an Aspire 9920G but the gpu is dead.
    - She has asked to a computer store a quote for reparation : they ask her $380, which is very expensive for her
    - i don't need to upgrade her video capabilities, but only to make the screen work again (she does not play video games)

My question : from the 2 posts i quoted above, i understand that any of the listed MXM-II card would theoretically do the job in my mother's laptop.
    Is that correct ?

Thanks for your help ...

Anthony

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Think of the extra pins as the 6 pin PCI-e connector. The less power consuming cards dont need it, to keep them small as possible they wont include it.

10. classic77

classic77 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awsome thread.

I think in time MXM will become only more popular. Yes it's intended for the OEM, but it saves them SOO much time and effort it only makes sense that you'll see more standardization. Why design 2 motherboards with custom GPUs when you can design 1 and release 2 editions with different GPUs in the MXM slot.

As for the different connectors, some cards just need more power. Including pins that aren't neccessary for weaker cards just wouldn't be practical for a manufacturer. So I bet we'll always see many different MXM variants and standards.

I think the biggest problem with end user upgradability is whitelisting of MXM modules that many OEMs are putting in the BIOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.