Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    But in games its vital ofc.

2. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    SSDs beat out HDDs in pretty much every category except price. Good ones (ie. non Jmicron controllers) have no vibration hence a lot higher reliability and shock resisitance, lower power consumption and hence less noise, heat, and more battery life, more density (so theoretically more capacity - the limiting factor as to why you don't see massive SSDs is cost, though 1TB 2.5" SSDs do exist unlikes HDDs which max out at 640GB), magnitudes lower access times, faster sequential and random read and writes across the board, etc.

3. AndrejaKo

AndrejaKo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ TehSuigi

I'd like to report that I have a Acer Aspire 7720G-813G32Bn which came with GeForce 9500M GS. It's the same device ID as the one mentioned in http://mxmvideoquest.com/upgrade_5720_95GS.html.
    I'm pointing this out since it isn't mentioned on the list of supported video cards for 7720G.

Great post by the way!

4. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the notification!

5. spaanplaat

spaanplaat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi Tehsuigi,

I can tell you for sure the GeForce 9800M GT 512MB MXM-III/IV? from Alienware does NOT work in the 8930g allthough it seems it is also a mxm-III this one seems to have an extra connector in the mxm interface.

I received it last week just to try it out. But the screen stays black even with the 1.13 bios installed.

This is the 9800m gt

[​IMG]

and this is the 9700m gt

[​IMG]

As you can see it is different and the motherboard mxm connector of the 8930g does not have the last connector. It is to bad. I really wanted a beefy GPU but it seems it is a no go.

6. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    Hmmmmm. If not mistaken, there is another BIOS for your model. 1.14 I guess.

7. spaanplaat

Reputations:
    The 1.13 is the latest bios for the 8930g. But he at least we now know it doen's work ;) :eek:

8. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Duly noted - thanks for trying it, spaanplaat!

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I've seen quite A LOT listings of 9800M GT stating that it's MXM-III, around here. Well as you already know, it is MXM-IV, there is no such thing as MXM-III 9800M GT, GS/GTS is different story. Anyway, thanks for trying that one out. Next time try with ATi as their top of the line HD3850/3870s are MXM-III :D I don't know about HD4850 though :(

10. spaanplaat

Reputations:
    So the 9800m gt is actually a MXM-IV? I don't get it. Everywhere I check I see the MXM-III modules with a extra connector which I don't have. Is the 9700m gt really an MXM-III? Because I see alot of the so called MXM-III's on ebay with the extra connector. Are they all actually MXM-IV's?

Could someone please explain this to me before I make another stupid mistake? And how much better are the 3850 and 3870 over the 9700m?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.