Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

1. nikokin

nikokin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @TehSuigi please update data for 5920G too, had 1GB GT240M in it.

also made a quick tutorial about it
    and it works with original bios, no need to modify anything for it to post

i have now ordered a gt 250m as it is the fastest i can find for mxm ii slot
    but this one has toshiba vbios
    i will post once i have news

2. nikokin

Reputations:
    forgot, also tested on 7720G 8920G 8930G 6920G and works with original bios
    so i was curious as to why was that, and as you can see on the hardware id tab
    the subsys is 01211025, this subsys ID is normally for 8600M, so my guess is that this card will
    work for any acer laptop that originally suppported 8600M, but that is a guess and is not verified.

an exception to this is the 9920G that originally had 8600m but for some reason needs its own vbios

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  3. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If You are talking about blue PCB cards from Toshiba I see two problems with what you are writing. First of all there aren't gts 250m made in MXM form, as I'm aware of, apart from Asus ones which isn't true MXM because of it shape. All those cards sold on aliexpress as gt250m are actually gt230m. Sellers even give chip markings: N10P-GE-A2 which is gt230m, gts250m have slighty different but very similar: N10E-GE-A2. Those cards don't have vbios chip on board. There's place for that chip in the left upper corner of the card. To make them work You have to either solder preflashed chip with some resistors or incorporate vbios into the bios of the laptop.

nikokin likes this.
  4. nikokin

Reputations:
    hi, yes i saw another thread here about how to incorporate vbios on the bios laptop, i think for a 330M
    so i think it won't be very hard. but i did not even once think about googling N10P-GE-A2 to see if it was gts250m, well that is awkward. i think i need to have a little chat with them about it :p
    thanks for the info, though. i would probably not have seen it until late.

5. nikokin

Reputations:
    hi, so i was trying the 5920G with a 3650m i got, and for some reason the fan does not spin,
    everything is functional when tested with 8400, 8600m, 9500m but the moment i put the 3650m fan will not start even if the cpu goes 80c and gpu 90c, vbios is 010.088.000.005.028840. Even when i try acfancontrol i got wrong temperature readings it always shows gpu at 3c, bummer.
    any help will be appreciated. :)

6. signex

signex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for confirming that 240M works, i found an Asus one wich should work out of the box right? It's 49 euro on aliexpres.

7. nikokin

Reputations:
    this is the one i got https://alibonus.com/y/3UpZk

8. signex

signex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep that is the one i wanted to buy, but got a great deal on a Asus G75VW laptop with a 670MX in it so i sold my laptop and PS4.
    Couldn't let that laptop slide!

9. tigran0705

tigran0705 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ati mobility radeon HD 3470 256mb successfuly working on Acer Aspire 5720g and replaced my dead factory default Nvidia Geforce 8400m G 256mb MXM II card....

10. jokerviper

jokerviper Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently ordered a 965M MXM Type 3.0A from China. The card is an Clevo card with an VBIOS on it. Does anyone know if the card will work in a Aspire 5935G? Thanks