Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I can see it's relatively new. Status says OK for as long as your HDD is nor running out of spare sectors.

The way it works is when a sector(s) is/are unreadable the drives reallocates it to one of the spare sectors. Number of those sectors depend on a manufacturer.
    Since then every time data was meant to be written to the now-defunct sector it is instead being redirected to a spare one.

The drive returns OK status as long as it still has enough free spare sectors- so if you drive has 512 and you've used 206 so far, it's theoretically OK.
    In reality a total of 206 sectors have been re-allocated (or at least attempts have been made to reallocate them) 88 times.

B8 (marked "unknown" by HDTune) is most likely parity error check which also indicates serious problems.

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, both B8 and reallocated sector count are above the threshold value, which is fine. (SMART values decrease with faults, and it's low values that indicate problems.)

3. downloads

Reputations:
    I know but the point is 206 reallocated sectors raw value) mean serious issues regardless of the threshold. If a drive has 1024 spare sectors even 500 reallocated sectors would be fine (as in within the threshold) but that doesn't change the fact that the drive is going south.

4. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I changed the hard drive (in the used-spare disk it is all "0"), shows as the problem has been solved,
    I will test it for few days.

5. applemaca

applemaca Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, the nvidia GF 8400M GT in my 7720G gave out after years of loyal service. My friend has given me an ATI HD2600 taken from an HP 8510P/8510W .... I thought it would just be a simple as replacing nvidia with radeon......but I just get black screen (nothing with VGA or DVI either). Is this card no use for my 7720G or is there a work around? I replaced the ati hd2300 (with the help of some very helpful posters) in my other 7720G with an Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 MXM II and had to use modified drives from laptop2go, but at least the 7720G used the VGA drivers to allow the screen to function. The radeon causes blackscreen .

TIA

I know I should read through the thread but.......it's huge. I will of course do so if you guys think I should.

*EDIT* Having read a large part of this thread now, am I wrong in thinking this is a locked card but there might be a way to unlock? or is it my m/board bios (1.45) that is the problem?

6. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When install one image of my laptop (from old HDD) with Acronis True Image have the same problem...

7. cabalcabal

cabalcabal Newbie

Reputations:
    hello
    I have an Acer Aspire 5720G and I installed windows 7 32 bit with a 9600GT, the system recognizes me as a video card based windows by installing the right drivers Driver 258.96. How is it possible?

Cattura.JPG

gpuz.JPG

8. downloads

Reputations:
    Try installing drivers with modded inf from here.

9. cabalcabal

cabalcabal Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks but I have not figured out what to download.

sorry but I was wrong, the driver is for Windows 8 32-bit.
    I also wanted to know if vga ati 2600 is 100% compatible with Acer 5720G because I have to buy.

10. downloads

Reputations:
    Try this one for WIn 8 32 bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.