Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think have problem (the laptop is not stabilized, stuck...) in (patched) BIOS (this patched BIOS "Aspire 5920G (Phoenix, with unlocked menus, updated 2011-11-06): http://ifile.it/noxplab/5920G_MXM_V3.WPH") settings (maybe IDE/SATA settings).
    What is the best settings in this BIOS on my ACER 5920G (9600M GT) ?

please see this:

View attachment 87511

Should all be green (os win8, in win 7 i think all green)

Attached Files:

2. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If that's the case and it's all green in Win 7 it's not a hardware problem nor a BIOS problem- Windows 8 drivers suck at this point and that is causing it (at least one of the drivers)

3. dedalos91

Reputations:
    DPC Latency Checker

"Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice."

4. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ dedalos91,

Hey, I don't know if this is what .NetRolller 3D mentioned over on the 'BIOS mods and discussions' thread. He said something about 9600M GT and Win 8, and I think something about the drivers from LaptopVideo2Go. Anyway have a peek, maybe. (You'll have to hunt.)

I kept meaning to reply to your 'thermal paste and copper shim' post, (in the 5920.) the were main points I wanted to say.

1. I would make the copper shim to the size of the copper plate on the heatsink. I can't remember what size that was though, but I thought 15mm x 15mm was good. Any larger would probably help. Like I said though larger and you might have to remove that black plasticky square shaped thing. (Which is probably just a placement guide.) It's really just basic thermodynamics. You make the shim which has contact with the core have more surface area contact with cool of the heatsink. Heat travels from hot to cold, so you give the shim lots of heatsink contact. The smaller you make the shim, and it will have to do the same thermal 'work' through a smaller surface area. Pure copper is preferable to copper alloy, as it has higher thermal conductivity.

2. You were using far too much paste. You want paste as thin as possible. If you get it too thin the temps start to rise slightly again. After a couple of goes you learn what is the optimal paste application.

EDIT (PS I don't use shims on the GPU RAM at the moment. For the 5920 I salvaged some pads from a heatsink. Copper is better though I suppose at heat transfer, but the 9600M GS uses DDR2 which I'm sure is cooler anyway.)

Pics here of my 9600M GS and cooling.
    1. http://www.mediafire.com/?zcsf27qsop8vqkw
    2. http://www.mediafire.com/?8c5ccc9pz1f430y

All I did was lift out the card and take pics. I'll just put it in again. OK I know some might think I need to clean up and paste again, but for now it's OK. The 9600M GS runs so cool it makes no real difference. If I run 'Furmark' on it, I'll see about max 71'C after fifteen mins. Generally in games 64-71'C. My current shim is the largest copper area I have at present, about 13mmx14mm. I would use it to put my 9600M GT in. However I think I might remove the black plastic square and make use of a larger shim. (To the size of the copper embedded in the heatsink.) Really though, I think one of the 15mmx15mm you found is OK, like I confirmed was good, before when you asked. (I'm tempted to buy one too.) See, just enough paste to make it squeeze a minimal amount out the sides.

5. dedalos91

Reputations:
    @ u6b36ef

Thanks for your answer and your pics.
    Maybe the DDR2 version has deferent gap between cooler - RAM chip, cooler - GPU chip from DDR3 version of 9600M.
    I try to find the better choice of copper (1,5x1,5X0,05cm or 2x2X0,08cm etc) for my 1 problem (temps) but the sure is the DDR2 version is cooler (now is winter and low environmental temps so no big problem). I will try to find a GDDR2 9600M GT....

Also i think maybe my 2rd problem (the laptop is not stabilized, stuck...win 7-8, patched BIOS) is on BIOS settings (i don't know maybe on installation of VGA card)..." What is the best settings in this BIOS on my ACER 5920G (9600M GT) ? "
    Thanks

6. dedalos91

Reputations:
    I think my problem (the laptop is not stabilized, stuck for 0,5-1 sec all the time, high HDD load, win 7-8, .NetRolller 3D patched BIOS) is on this BIOS settings, on this selected settings on photos below (please see the photos below):

IMAGE00036.jpg IMAGE00049.jpg IMAGE00052.jpg IMAGE00062.jpg

What is the best (correct) settings in this BIOS on my ACER 5920G (Win 7-8 64bit, .NetRolller 3D patched BIOS, 9600M GT 512Mb GDDR3) ? :eek:

THANKS

7. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check your SMART status - sounds like your HDD is dying, or doesn't make good contact with the onboard connector.

8. dedalos91

Reputations:
    This is the SMART status

2012-12-03_185623.png

and the contact looks stable and good....

9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    .NetRolller 3D was right- the drive is half-dead. Back up data immediately.
    Relocated sector count and relocated events counts indicate that the surface of the drive is giving up or that there was a severe mechanical shock to the drive.

10. dedalos91

Reputations:
    Are you sure ? Is that 2 numbers too high ? Why the status in this 2 points is "ok" ?
    The "error scan" with HDD Tune looks good, no errors...

PS
    The HDD is new (few months ago...) from ebay.....:(

It is any way to fix my HDD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.