Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintsam

saintsam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all, I have 7720G and I purchased from ebay this card nVidia 8600M GT, 512 MB, removed from ZEPTO laptop- ZEPTO ZNOTE 6625 W15 NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD 6050A2119301-VGAB-X02 | eBay , but when I installed the card, system is booting, Windows start sound can be heard , NO VIDEO on screen at all. Do I have to change the vBIOS, or mainboard BIOS must be changed ?

2. saidun

saidun Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi TehSuigi,

many thanks for your post. I was looking for this for a while. Because I cannot increase my graphic card performance, here is my question:
    my laptop is an ACER ASPIRE 6530G with an ATI RADEON 4570 512MB. I would like to know whether I can replace my current MXM-II card to the Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 (M96) [VG.M9606.005] [VG.M9606.006] card. So, I would gain 512MB more.

I have found it here for a reasonable price:
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 HD4650 MXM II 1GB DDR2 HD 4670 UK | eBay

http://www.ebay.es/itm/ATI-Mobility...raphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item20c6c110c7

would you think it would be a correct idea to get a new one?

Thanks again :)

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @saidun

It can be upgraded to HD4650 MXM-II. (the first link)

The card in the second one is not MXM II so it won't work.

4. skaramanlis

skaramanlis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I ve bought from ebay Asus NVIDIA 9650M GT DDR2 1GB MXM II VGA Card, to place it into my laptop ACER 5520G, but its NOT compatible.
    The chipset from ASUS card is from the oposite side of the card than the previews.
    So coolling system of previews card, can not touch and cool the chipset. I didnt even try to turn on the laptop without cooling.
    This is something which someone can see it from photos.
    $(KGrHqRHJDkE63ZdBY26BO7zQb,lu!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqZHJDIE7Bcviu-zBO7zQfkeEg~~60_12.JPG

5. popek189

popek189 Newbie

Reputations:
    What's that black cover for?

6. saintsam

saintsam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @skaramanlis
    Hi, you can turn on the laptop, just to see if the card works just for test, but you should look before buy this card of the heat sink side. Usually this type of cards are used in Asus laptops like you mention and cannot be fitted in Acer. But, just make a try without cooling- you will not harm the video. Unfortunately, you must sell this card and buy another one .

7. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "The chipset from ASUS card is from the oposite side of the card than the previews."

@skaramanlis
    What do you mean?
    1) If you card is not as described, not like the picture (preview) - send it back. Item not as described. (45 days to open case of you need to.)
    2) If it was as described, ask nicely if you can return.
    3) If you bought 'buy it now' you have seven days from receiving it - to request return, automatic - just for changing your mind: under distance selling regulations. (Provided you have not used it.) See ebay policies or email them.

@ Triturbo
    I didn't stop thinking about your cooling. After roaming ebay, I found, quite a few very well priced 5920 coolers. Also I noticed something I had not seen before. Before rev.3C the coolers appear to be in two parts, and the ones I saw were not made by Foxconn - the meatal heatsink parts I mean. Whereas mine (FOXCONN rev. 3C), I think is only in one complete part - see the picture: Foxconn written in the aluminium, near the fan. Also the model number on the CPU cooler is FOX*****. Maybe that is key. Either way for £5 you could buy one and try it. Maybe look for one with Sunon fan, then at least you could salvage the fan if that is all that helps. Or I even saw a Sunon fan for £3 alone.

+ dedalos91
    I don't know if it helps, but I recently remembered the first time I put this 9600M GT in the 5920. We couldn't clock up then (pre .NetRolller fixing the bug), but I remembered mentioning the idle temps were cool. (First post: this page.) http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/575866-acer-mxm-bios-mods-discussion-x920g-vs-9600m-gt-9.html

Anyway I'm now going to have to retry the 9600M GT/5920 combo, making sure I have my larger area shim fitted.
    By the way: I no longer use my external fan, as the seasons have changed and the temps have cooled. Room temp at about 18-19'C and the 8920/9600M GT is fine. It was really only at 22'C+ it needed help. (Really though 22'C is quite oht to expect a laptop to game anyway, without cooling help.) Even then I used cooling for my own peace of mind. The external laptop fan kept it at steady 80'C allways, however warm room temp got. I discovered the idea by accident, because my room fan cooled me and the notebook. I got to thinking, but what when room temp doesn't need cooling, but notebook could go a few degrees cooler. I read about people using deskfans, but then I had the slavaged laptop fan idea.

I would say it is an ideal solution for hot GPU's.
    Plus points: It works.
    Minus points: Using only the + and - , it runs at full speed. Exactly like having another laptop fan run on full. Thus use the quietest you can find, or mod it to run slightly slower, or run two at slower quieter speed.

8. maras_tiger

maras_tiger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi. IT .W.O.R.K.i.N.G.!!!!!

I have aspire 5520g(8400m g128m stock)160gb hitachi hdd i did upgrade to ( GF 9600m GT 1gb DDR2 and 320gb wd caviar hdd )

For my 5520g and GF9600M GT1024m DDR2 ( i used Your modded SBIOS from firs page of post " http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/575866-acer-mxm-bios-mods-discussion-x920g-vs-9600m-gt.html " and this resolved problem with MXM- structure 30sec delay. Also i did ur pach from above changing device id in nvac.inf from driver dowloaded fom LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers and i use filtering my iD device but u can download diffrent driver for ur windows but u have to use modified .INF to install it manualy inside Windows and resolve standard VGA card driver problem also clocks.

Iu 3d mark 06 is only 845 score total but if i egual all scores it will be 3000points i think it can be more.

Maybe someone can tell me why score is so low and lowest is processor 63 points? / and how to fix it?

I attach some pics.

BIG THX!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. taylor7700

taylor7700 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have an Acer Aspire 6930g running a Nvidia 9300m GS i am trying to change it to an ATI HD4650 1GB GDDR2 GRAPHICS CARD.

However when ever i swap the cards over with the ATI card i am getting a black screen as soon as i turn the laptop on. I am no expert when it comes to doing this kind of thing im hopeing it is something simple im not doing right so any help would be appreciated.

10. skaramanlis

skaramanlis Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again,
    with this model of MXM ASUS 9650GT, the chipset was at the oposite side, and the chipset is touching the plastic case.
    Not even try to turn it not, I can imagine what can happen with the chipset touching the plastic case of laptop.
    I ve send the card back to China, and bought Nvidia MXM II GeForce 9600M GT DDR3 512MB For Acer (NEW), Ive check the photos now, and its from the correct side the chipset.
    From day to day I will recieve the new card and I ll write here too.
    I hope this card will be the last one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.