Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    @u6b36ef - Thanks. My heatsink's sticker is long gone, I think I keep it somewhere, but I'll have to dig pretty hard :eek: I had SUNON fan, but it's broken since I dropped the laptop while it was running :mad: Thankfully only the fan was damaged (sounds like a jet engine, damaged bearing I guess) and I have a few spare to replace it (not SUNON though) :)

@Kanchata - I think that MXM-Upgrade were selling those at one point, like a non-performance "cheap" (for their standards) replacement. I was trying to find the article, but no luck. I'm pretty certain that they tested it on 5920G, so it should work on yours as well.

2. c4passion

c4passion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi, i have a noob question about mxm cards:
    I have buyed from ebay an Acer 5920 with a Geforce 8600gs cards, its from 2009-2010, these notebook have mxm technology? if it have, i can upgrade with any mxm card? i have readed if the card is smaller it can fit on the slot, but if is bigger dont) in example i can use a 3.0 mxm card? there are 202 pages and i only have this questions.

I dont have received my notebook, 6 days to get it ^^

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    5920 is a 2007 model, it accepts MXM 2.1 Type II (MXM-II). Refer to the first page for possible upgrades.

4. martinlu16

martinlu16 Newbie

Reputations:
  5. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I put copper shim on gpu chip and on 4 ram chip of vga card but i am disappointed from the resaults, the same max temp...

I test my 9600M GT and this is the results:

Software FurMark
    Duration 10min
    max temp 91°C
    Resolution: 1280x720 (W) - AA:0 samples

what is wrong?

6. sunster168

sunster168 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just read this today and want to thank Tehsuigi for this very informative thread. :thumbsup:

7. c4passion

Reputations:
    Thanks, i will take a look, is the same model 5920 and 5920g?

8. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    triturbo meant 5920G. The difference is in lack of MXM slot in 5920 which uses an integrated graphics.

9. c4passion

Reputations:
    Ok I understand, thanks ;)

im going to search one mxm card for upgrade mine, one more question? my 8600 gs 256 is in idle, 76ºC and playing in example Orcs must die it jumps to 102º,pretty much hotter.

i have cleaned the fan and heatsink, maybe i need to put some new thermal compound?

Advices for cooling it a bit?

10. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ dedalos91 + triturbo, (and everyone really),

dedalos91,
    You did paste both sides of the shim I assume.

I found shim size makes a difference to temps. The thinner the better, obviously. (Believe it or not I use 0.5mm in the 5920, and it's still enough to squeeze the thin layers of paste. (Using MX3))
    - Length x breadth makes a difference too though. Rather than say, cutting your shim down to the size of the GPU core, leave as big as possible.

Having you trying the 5920/9600M GT has made me want to try it again. Thinking back I am wondering if I had a smaller area shim in when I tried the 9600M GT in the 5920. It's probably worth me checking, but to be sure I think we both face the same dilema. It's allways a risk moving cards about, and makes me nervous, so I keep thinking not to bother.

@ c4passion,

That's hot. 105-110'C will be shut down temp to protect hardware. Yes, look at your paste, pad, or whatever you have in there. Check your core is for sure thermally meeting the heatsink, including the paste or pad etc. Either you have one of the apparently weaker coolers, or you need to put your cooling right. Most are using copper shims, as they are just about the most thermally conductive solution. Copper has to be purest though, or you could just as well almost be using steel. Aluminium for third choice. If you want the very best, find a pure silver shim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.