Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botexnet

botexnet Newbie

Reputations:
    @triturbo
    Thank you for your information.
    Do you know which one is better/compatibility? The ATI or the nVidia?

@all
    Anybody changes the GPU in an Extensa 5620G?

Thanks for helping me

2. u6b36ef

u6b36ef Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ Triturbo,

Yeah I have to agree about portability.

Actually though, I have seen another 5920 user grumble about the system not cooling enough. Yet I allways found it OK.
    Previously, I had in this 5920 at the lowest and original spec; T7300 - 2GHz, 4MB cache 65nm CPU, paired with a (fairly cool) 8600M GS 256MB. Max GPU temps 72'C.
    At the highest spec T7700 at 2.4GHz with (hotter) 8600M GT, highest temps, 83'C.

Currently it has a 9600M GS DDR2 512MB, (thanks to .NetRolller 3D's SBIOS mod). This card out performs the 8600M GT (with higher shader speed and faster RAM), but gives way lower temperatures. Generally in a 20'C room, 69'C on the GPU, 72'C on hotter days, and only Oblivion has ever pushed it to 77'C on a warm day. (Running around in the long grasses in Oblivion is what causes the temp spikes. Otherwise 72-74'C) That's all with no external cooling. It's so cool, the fan only rarely spins up to full. Idle temps, can be unbelievably low. (Portable laptop then.)

I know though that a DDR2 card isn't the best, but it's worth knowing about.

Anyway, I have suspected maybe there are different revisions of the cooling. Maybe this one was a later revision, which was shipped for the T7 series CPU. I'll open the case and take a pic, or copy the heatsink/fan data if it means anything for you. Happy to help if I can.

3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Sure, everything helps. As I said, mine was even lower spec'ed, so there could be a difference in the cooling. I don't know, but maybe even different MoBo revisions. Anyway, for most of the owners it's pretty hot, because I saw it quite a handful of times to be nicknamed - oven :D Count yourself happy :)

4. botexnet

botexnet Newbie

Reputations:
    @all
    Anybody know which one is better/compatibility? The ATI or the nVidia?
    Anybody changes the GPU in an Extensa 5620G?

Thanks for helping me

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Every GPU is for itself, as well as the machines, but most of the times ATi has better compatibility. For example HD3650 works on virtually any machine out there :)

6. u6b36ef

Reputations:
    @ Triturbo,

Here's some pics of this 5920's cooling.
    Fan: Fan.JPG
    CPU cooler and rev. number: CPU cooler, and rev. number.JPG
    Whole system: Whole system.JPG

I see you have cooler rev A1 sticker on one of your heatsinks, whereas this has A3. Plus your fan looks different. This is Sunon. It's worth noting in the 8920 there are two fans issued. The Forcecon type which runs quieter, and a Sunon which is slightly more audible but cools more. (I have them both, so I know for sure.)

@ dedalos91

Ahh dedalos, I just found your message in my Notebookreview inbox, from ages ago. I did see it some time ago in my email, deleted it thinking I'd reply from in Notebookreview. Anyway I missed it.

All I can say is what I would have thought at the time. The 9600M GT runs fine for 5920 (with .NetRolller 3D's latest SBIOS fix). However it might be best in the DDR2 version, as I suspect temperatures would be better. That kind of contradicts the advice others would give, which is buy the faster GDDR3. Sticky point as I can't advise for sure take the DDR2 GT, as my experience is with GDDR3 GT and DDR2 GS. Anyway I hope you get it sorted.

7. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. u6b36ef

Reputations:
    Well yeah, you want the 5920 SBIOS from .NetRoller 3D; but I assumed you already had that, ref your sig. (Otherwise you would not have the 9600 working. That C90S-9600M GT file, I think is a finished version of a vBIOS to fix clocking the 9600 up to full clocks.) You're on the right path. We are just waiting to see if you can control temps more with your shim you ordered. You did leave me wondering what you have in there now. (Like pad, or just paste.) If you can run the 9600M GT right, then maybe I need to re-look at what I have done. I found it quite hot.

9. dedalos91

dedalos91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have on my laptop this patched BIOS "Aspire 5920G (Phoenix, with unlocked menus, updated 2011-11-06)
    http://ifile.it/noxplab/5920G_MXM_V3.WPH"
    and i am waiting for for some copper shim from ebay.
    now (only internet...) the temp is 55 C.

10. Kanchata

Kanchata Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys, can anyone tell to me if i can fit and make to work an ATI x1700 M66 256MB MXM II VGA CARD, why my present one ( Radeon 3650HD ) has died, my laptop is Acer Aspire 8920G and shows on the bottom back side black label Acer Aspire 8920 Series with CM2 and model no. LE1 and other white label says Aspire 8920G-6A3G25Bn
    Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.