Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candlemass

Candlemass Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have an almost dead 8400M GS on an ACER 7720G.
    I bought a 9300M GS to replace it and it doesn't show anything on the screen (it just seems to turn on and stay empty). The guy who sold me the card seems trustworthy and told me that it came from a 5520G, so it has ACER VBIOS (and should work out of the box).
    We reflowed quickly the 8400M GS and I was able to update the motherboard BIOS to the unlocked v1.45 (black edition) with every option available, but the same problem remains.

Seeing that the 9300M GS is supported by 7720G in the 1st page of this thread (although it is mentioned as MXM-Type I, not II as 8400M GS is), what could be wrong and what could I do to make the replacement work?

Thanks a lot guys!

2. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @loafer: Yes, in fact, I've posted a guide earlier about modding a 330M.

The 240M *does* have a BIOS chip on board - there was a thread about it, but the poster merely assumed it was BIOS-less.

3. DoZe

DoZe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @NetRoller3D :

i'm trying to flash my 230M with 330M bios, all is ok , but the ID don't change.

What can i do to resolve this prob ?

Regards, Ray

4. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In Nvidia cards, flashing a different VBIOS won't usually change the PCI device ID (unless the VBIOS is programmed to override HW straps). However, it will change the card's clocks to those of a 330M.

5. warbringerpt

warbringerpt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, after all this time busy with other stuff, finally went to the asusparts website to buy the 240m gt. But I guess they are not selling it anymore (not seeing the price of the card nor the option to buy 1). Any alternative to it?

6. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered one of them before they took it off the website and it would seem the user on here "Boobz" got the last one they had. They are offering me my money back almost 1 month later so it would seem they are completely out of those cards.

I haven't had any luck researching the gt330m/230m bios mods for the Toshiba card either so I really dont know what to do...

I am tempted to buy a 4650m DDR3 and do the bios mod as this is the only one I can find any real info on. All of these options are on ebay but require soldiering...

Don't know what to do!

7. modziar

modziar Newbie

Reputations:
    I have succesfully downgrade to GeForce 7600GS 256MB MXM-II

8. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 240m gt mxm-ii is a dead one :( bios chip has a crack and the solder came loose. I asked for a replacement but they have no new ones :( so a refund it is!

Tapatalked!

9. loafer987

loafer987 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If they don't request you ship it back for the refund let me know! It looks like I'm gonna have to do the bios mod anyways so I'll try it on that one for sure.

10. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had to ship it back ;( But what would you be able to do? The bios chip was broken and also came loose because of weak soldering... Should I have kept it and repaired it? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.