Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's gonna be compatible, but it won't be as fast as most 9600M GTs - it is DDR2, while the good ones are GDDR3. OTOH it will overclock rather well (rev. C1), but it won't help much, given that the card is already RAM-limited.

2. gerdelrio

gerdelrio Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks .NetRolller 3D, if it is compatible, it's enough for me. I'll post the result when the card arrives.

3. SinSear

SinSear Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the M5950 as well and just returned it recently because of the GDDR3 memory. What did you exchange it for? The company offered me the Quadro 2000M but I wasn't sure my notebooks cooling system was adequate.

4. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was going to exchange it for a GDDR5 model, but they don't have any in stock any more. I kept the GDDR3 model as they gave me a percentage back. It's faster and cooler than the 4670 it replaced.

5. SinSear

SinSear Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a HD Mobility 5850M so using the M5950 with GDDR3 actually made my system slower. I am looking at the Firepro M7820 but there are different versions of it. I think that not all versions of it are the GDDR5 kind and some don't even fit in an MXM socket. There is very limited data on them. Glad yours was still an ugrade from what you had and that you enjoy the card. :D

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Why would someone with a 5850M look at the 6770m?

7. akbisw

akbisw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    less heat? im not sure. so any news on latest mxm cards from AMD?

8. CROSSFIRE_GTI

CROSSFIRE_GTI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what laptop you have?

9. niffcreature

niffcreature computer lesbian

Reputations:
    You seem to have some major misconceptions about what a laptop graphics card is. The model name "m7820" does NOT indicate whether it is MXM or another proprietary interface. It only indicates the GPU core and sometimes the vRAM type.

The rest of the PCB of the graphics card is not manufactured by AMD and therefore varies depending on what laptop it was made for.

I have a gddr5 HP firepro m7820 which I will test soon, it seems to be standard MXM. Lenovo cards should also be standard MXM, I'm guessing the Dell cards are the nonstandard ones you are seeing.

10. alinush95

alinush95 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi all, i have a acer aspire 6920g-934g32bn bought in november 2008.I cosider of buying a new GPU to replace the old 9500m GS that is too slow and i wold like some suggestion.i saw a 9600m GT as well as a 9650M GT on okazii.ro (btw im from romania and the site is similar to ebay) links:
    Placa video laptop mxm nvidia 9650gt 1gb128bit (video card, graphic card, GeForce Nvidia) - Okazii (60634558)
    ===[ PLACA VIDEO 9600M GT ]=== nVidia DDR3 512mb pana la 2Gb - Okazii (60197232)
    Placa video nVidia 9600M GS 1GB M50V-9PGE2 08G2015MM20Y - Okazii (60367119)
    cost in euro=100€
    any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.