Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iain.lightbody

iain.lightbody Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The people that sold me my M5950 told me I could have 10% off since it was wrongly advertised or I could send it back for a full refund. I asked for an exchange. I'll let you know what the guys do for me with my GDDR3 card.

2. XenonXTZ

XenonXTZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys,
    Hello. I'm new here. Please, help, I tried to find a solution reading a lot of threads here, but could solve my problem.

I think the post above is very related to my problem.
    I have a Asus C90S with 8600GT which failed 1 time already and I'm not going to buy another one, which is more likely to fail again after a short period of time due to defective G84/G86s.
    As far as I know the Asus C90S has an "unlocked" MXM II socket and can accept any MXM II cards.
    I got a FX 770m card, which I heard is good for CAD and that's what I do.
    This is the same exact one. It's an HP 580214-001
    Lot HP 8730W 8530P Quadro FX770M MXM 512mb card Acer 8730 Acer 8730 8920 8930 | eBay
    The problem is that later, after ordering the card, I was reading a lot about this card and found some interesting things. I sisn't know that some MXMs do not have a VBios chip onboard.
    Seems like this card is really missing one.
    My question is:
    As far as the card is missing a VBios chip - what will happen when I put it in my Asus C90S?
    What can I do to make it work in case it doesn't boot up due to the lack of the VBios? I assume that my laptop should practically accept all the real mxm cards that DO have the VBios onboard, is that correct?
    And if there is no chip - I'm screwed, right?
    Thank you very much for any kind of help!

PS. I'm sorry to be posting in Acer division, but you guys at Acer have most MXM powered cards and my problem related posts.

Thanks!

Anybody, please...

3. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know this card quite well - it does have a VBIOS chip onboard. The "missing" chip is an HDCP ROM; used for DRM purposes on other cards. All it means is that the card doesn't support HDCP and some other oppressive DRM schemes - not a big loss IMO.

However, when you first put it in, it will only give output through a VGA or DVI display. To get the internal display to work, flash it to the VBIOS found on TechPowerUp.

4. XenonXTZ

Reputations:
    Thank you so much!
    Today I received another HP MXM card. Which has part number 502337 and it seems to be ATi FireGL V700, based on the HD3650 core.
    I installed it in the laptop and it didn't post at all. My Asus C90s keeps shuting down spontaneously. It is blinking a couple of times the HDD LED, and does some POST stuff, even if you press the caps-lock, the light comes on, etc. Actually it did the same on my supposedly dead 8600GT. I hope it's a graphics related problem and nothing else.
    The laptop has sufficient power, because if you press the reset button underneath, the fans, all of them, start ramping up at full speed and the laptop is not shutting down. I'm not sure, but I hope it's a video problem. Please, if anybody had this kind of problem, tell me what is the exact cause.
    Thanks

This is the actual card that I do have on hand now and it's missing a bunch of chips somehow. The only 8 leg chip that I see is close to the socket contacts and it reads "APL5915"

---------- UPDATE: Please nevermind about the laptop being shutting down. This was because the battery was not providing enough power.
    For now, I can't check wether I have image on DVI or D-SUB, cause I don't have a cord to hook it to my TV.
    In case I have image on external monitor - what should I do to make it work on the laptop's dedicated LCD?
    This ATi FireGL V700 card has 256MB of GDDR3 (I don't need more actually) and the fact that it is a 55nm GPU makes it more attractive compared to the FX 770M. Less heat will mean less problem to my old C90S.

[​IMG]

5. goldenfish

goldenfish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

yes i overclocked it through msiafterburner . you are correct it doesnt support more memory bandwitch. default is 790mhz

I applied silver 5 thermal past the temps doesnt improve much as compared to the normal thermal past which i borrowed from a friend and he bought it less than a £ .

Ah, here we go:
    550/1190/968 (1936 DDR)
    Were my max clocks it seems. Have you tried loading the bios up on nibitor?[/QUOTE]

@maeker : what is nibitor and what do i use it for ?:confused:

6. goldenfish

goldenfish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. niffcreature

niffcreature computer lesbian

Reputations:
    LOL, thats the one without the eeprom!

Some of them have it but I think its the same HP part. The chip should be right below .................here (depending on your browsers fonts)
    [​IMG]

Its normal for cards to have missing components, but when you've seen the exact same card with an eeprom in the empty space its obvious thats why its not working. I've had 3 of those ATI HP cards and 1 had the missing EEPROM.

Your not screwed, you just have to return the card, or solder an EEPROM onto it (if you can do that casually).

8. niffcreature

niffcreature computer lesbian

Reputations:
    Lol, you got that much correct.

I think its a 6770m but its DDR3 for sure. Also it says "audio disabled" :/

Considering its an HP card and not a firepro its probably used on an HTPC which is a good reason for it to have issues on laptops.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Its a 5730 and it wont support audio over HDMI.

10. XenonXTZ

Reputations:
    Man, I'm the lucky one.
    I got it now.
    Got a question regarding the EEPROM chip
    If I unsolder the chip from my dead 8600GT will it work?
    I mean it will still try to boot from what the EEPROM is programmed, but, will it just let me flash the card with the proper VBIOS?
    Do I understand it right that the "presence" of chip is required to let the circuit close and proceed with boot (even with VGA or DVI)?

Overall, what do you think is the better idea?
    Keep working on this ATi FireGL card (if I knew what part number is that chip (I'm good with soldering)) or wait for an HP 580214-001 card (FX 770m), which .NetRolller 3D was saying that the card is OK with VBIOS chip?

Thank you very much, guys, for all your advices! I appreciate your attention!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.