Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    Arghh I used to own an Aspire 4520G I got a 1 for 1 exchange for a Aspire 4530 ...
    Seems like a downgrade now.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeah they likely just phased out the old cards. I think my machine is one of the last of the 5520g series made.

3. kisetsu17

kisetsu17 Took me long enough

Reputations:
    How likely is it that two laptops which look alike actually have similar innards? I looked into the Extensa 5620G, and it looked a lot like my 4630G.. (yeah, TehSuigi, I'm the guy with a problem back then ;p )

Well then, how likely is it that they have the same MXM setup? The only difference I think is that the 5620G is a 15.4" and the 4630G is a 14.1", but as I've read MXM-II cards are present in both sizes, which makes me think this theory is highly plausible.. (I have like 6 months left in warranty before I could open up my notebook lol)

PS Great guide TehSuigi, +rep too, :D

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Most Acer 15" notebooks that end with a G will use MXM II I believe.

5. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Kisetsu! I was wondering when I'd hear from you again.
    I think I can confirm that the 4630G is an MXM notebook, since the 9300M GS is listed as a separate spare part.
    Just not sure if it's MXM-II (wouldn't be surprised if it is).
    Come back in 6 months time, and we'll see what the hot upgrade path is. (maybe the Radeon HD 4650!)

6. kisetsu17

Reputations:
    Hey~~

Yeah, I was thinking that too, since I saw this site I think in Ireland that sells a 9300M GS spare part..emailed them but got no response whatsoever..

Really? is the HD 4650 an MXM-II card? Haha, I was considering getting myself a ViDock 2 for the 4670 but when I saw the price I was like "I could buy a new laptop if that were the case!!" :D

Anyway, I'm willing to ditch the 6-month wait if I get the resources I might need for it and if I could figure out how I could pry that notebook wide open. :D but how likely is it that the CPU is also upgradeable? I'm thinking of first upping the CPU before the GPU, or whichever I see and get first. (sorry if this is threadjacking, if it is then let's just discuss this through PM :D)

Anyway, so regardless if it is an Extensa, so long as it has a G on its name? Maaan, I'd love to pry open this laptop just to see its innards. I was kind of trying to pry open my mom's Extensa 4620, 'cause it has a single bottom cover like the Aspire series, but oddly enough not my 4630G..

7. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    The Radeon HD 4650 is an MXM-II card - otherwise that guy in Turkey wouldn't have been able to upgrade.
    It's practically a given that your CPU is upgradeable; all non-low-voltage CPUs have been socketed for years now.
    I'm just going based on the research I've done. The only way to conclusively know if your Extensa's MXM is to open the sucker up.

8. Ryizzel

Ryizzel Newbie

Reputations:
    Lame, so I can't upgrade my aspire 6930?

9. TehSuigi

Reputations:
    If it's a 6930G, you can upgrade. If it's a regular 6930 with the Intel GMA 4500MHD, no you cannot.

10. kisetsu17

Reputations:
    Actually right now I am planning to open it up.. Although what keeps me from doing it is the fact that I have no idea how I'd remove the bottom part of the laptop with all the disk drives, ports and stuff blocking the way. I'll post pictures in a new thread once I officially decide to ask help to open up the laptop, but first I have to mentally prepare myself. :D

Anywho, about how much would I expect an HD 4650 to cost? I was digging up 9600M GT's for sale at eBay and they cost somewhere about $200 there, but the HD 4650's are just a tad bit faster, right? So it's just right to expect that it has more or less the same price as 9600M GT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.