Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niffcreature

niffcreature computer lesbian

Reputations:
    My ES 3800m showed HP on my MSI.

Might want to try an Alienware vBIOS I guess? If not, perhaps you could use an ADD2 card to route LVDS or a hardware converter from your DVI or VGA port.

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've actually got a hold of an alienware HD5730 (its on its way *TM) so i'll see how that works.

3. Dr.Colossos

Dr.Colossos Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got a ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3470 working in a Acer Aspire 7520G.

Foto shows Acer Aspire 7520G with GPUZ, Display Settings and Device Manager.

I only get a few "strange" characters when booting and in the BIOS, where the vBIOS versions are listed.

I also can't get temperature readings so far - this might be a driver issue, or the card has no sensors (anybody can comment on this?).

Apart from that, a short test worked good.

I think the heat sink would need slight modifications, as it does not make perfect contact. I tried to run Windows Vista Performance Test, and it shut down a bit into the test. I tried to reboot, it refused in POST, after trying a bit, it booted, but crashed hard in the process of starting Windows.

I let it cool of a bit and added another drop of thermal paste. After that, it worked.

I did not do any further test, nor will I do that later, as the card is not meant for this laptop. The 7520G will be taken apart and sold, its jsut a brittle piece of junk ... sad but true.

In case you need more information, I will maybe post a bit more on the card in the Compal forum - I think it will end up in the FL90. Of course you can PM me about it. You also may post here, but it might get lost/overlooked.

I got the card from german ebay, from this seller.

And no, I do not regard this as an upgrade, just as an replacement - although this card beats the 8400M G, but then, which card does not.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

P.S.: Yes, this post is a cheap copy of my ATI HD 2400XT posting a few days ago, but as you can see, the test is for real :D

Attached Files:

4. robbert-h

robbert-h Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bit strange...

On your picture GPU-z doesn't show the shader clocks either.
    Might be a driver issue. Do you have a 30sec waiting screen before OS starts loading?

Greets

5. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    ATI cards don't show shader clock because they don't have one- different architecture

6. AndreasBest

AndreasBest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.
    I have a Acer Asprire 7720G (MXM II) with a 8400m GS and i want to replace it with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 1GB (also MXM II).
    Is that possible or i will have any heating and/or power supply problems?
    Thanks!

P.S : Great guide!Keep up the good work.

7. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forums, AndreasBest!
    It's certainly possible; heck, MXM-Upgrade.com has the Radeon HD 4670 back in stock.
    It will be a bit hotter because of the increased size and power of the chip, but the use of a high-quality thermal compound will lower the impact on your machine.
    Power-supply shouldn't be a problem, but anything can happen when you're doing an upgrade that isn't supported by your manufacturer.

8. AndreasBest

Reputations:
    mxm upgrade is very expensive,i will try to found it somewhere else. do i have to make any mod (on heatsink etc) or it will fit nice and easy?
    thanks for support :)

9. TehSuigi

TehSuigi Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No clue - no one else has tried it on your machine, so we can't even go to a previous example.
    I will say that MXM cards don't tend to need heatsink mods, because their dimensions are largely the same within a form factor (all MXM-II cards are similar, e.g.).

10. AndreasBest

Reputations:
    I will ask for some pictures of the card before payin' for it to check if it's (physically) the same with 8400m GS.
    One last question, do i need any software mods (bios etc) in order to make it work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.