Acer MXM Models and Cards

Discussion in 'Acer' started by TehSuigi, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I can edit the performance table, just not the voltages :(

3. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    if you don't care about having your laptop locked at 3D clocks you can try this edit your 2D clocks to stay at 3D all the time that may works change purple and orange

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    So the clocks in domain 7?

But what about the voltage? Wont that stay down at 2d levels or is it automatic?

So I would change 810 to 1325 and 324 to 1250?

Well I tried updating the bios with the values you showed but it has bricked my card :(

So I need help people. If any of you know someone who can flash a bricked MXM-B card in europe let me know!

5. timjak

timjak Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to fix the 30 second startup delay, but nothing I do allows me to change the clock speeds. Any attempt to change them in the bios (or via the nvidia tuning tool on windows startup) gives me either a trashed display (and requires a reflash) or windows hangs. What level of system bios are you using? Mine is V1.33. And did your system ship originally with the 8600M card (mine was an 8400m). I wonder also do you have a copy of your vbios for the 9650M GT card - I'm thinking maybe the structure of my vbios is incompatible somehow with the system bios for my model 5520G.

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Did you change the voltage for that power state too?

EG: 3d clocks 600/800 and 1.2v, emergency clocks 300/400 and 1.0v

You need to change the clocks and voltage.

7. timjak

timjak Newbie

Reputations:
    Well - actually all I tried was to set the boot up clocks to the 3D level. Didn't change anything else. I've attached the current bios clock config.
    Basically the card won't go beyond the thrtl / bootup clocks level no matter what I try.

Attached Files:

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should not have changed that.

Just go tools > perf table entries > show entries

Then copy everything from the "extra" or "3d" entry into the throttle entry.

That will get you what you want.

9. timjak

timjak Newbie

Reputations:
    Magic! Yep I found similar advice here and it worked a treat. I guess acer must be another vendor that have tried to lock their bios to their own cards. heh heh! Cheers

10. acerbhattac

acerbhattac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So yea,

I'm prepared to say the mxm2 HD4650 I bought off ipc.de isn't a workable upgrade for the Travelmate 7720G. Covered the bracket in kapton tape to make sure there isn't any shorting going on, got fujipoly thermal pads to make sure everything interfaces with the heatsink, etc, etc.

Tried a few things, but the computer just won't stay on and shuts down randomly, forget gaming. Sometimes it doesn't turn on. Moreover, furmark doesn't record/indicate the temperature, and sysmark won't complete any benching without a shutdown part way through.

Windows recognises the video card, installs drivers, etc. I can work for a bit in the computer, but it just shuts down without warning and restarts.

So yea, if anyone wants to buy an acer hd4650 mxm2 off me, send me a pm with your best offer. I think I'm going to be sticking it on ebay shortly to try and recoup some of my losses.

I can send along pictures to prove ownership, etc. Might try to see if the 3650 works, like perhaps I should have done all along, lol.

There you go. Something to add to the MXM guide.
    :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.